• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Quaker Parrot Beak Problem

janelleO

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Janelle Ovunda
9B5A01A9-0678-4368-8955-F847C376010D.jpeg
This is my Quaker parrot and yesterday the tip of his beak broke off and he kept rubbing it all day like it was bothering him. This morning this is what his beak looks like. Is this normal? What should I do? I am concerned.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Some flaking and chipping on the beak is normal, however this looks abnormal and excessive to me. I would worry that there is something else going on. If it were me, a vet visit with bloodwork would be in order.

It could just be that the breaking of the tip was uncomfortable for him and he went overboard rubbing and caused this, but I would want a vet visit to rule out anything more sinister before assuming it's something benign.

janelleO

Real Name
Janelle Ovunda
Some flaking and chipping on the beak is normal, however this looks abnormal and excessive to me. I would worry that there is something else going on. If it were me, a vet visit with bloodwork would be in order.

It could just be that the breaking of the tip was uncomfortable for him and he went overboard rubbing and caused this, but I would want a vet visit to rule out anything more sinister before assuming it's something benign.
Thank you. I was thinking the same. I will make him a vet visit.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree with @painesgrey . My guess would be breaking the tip either is a symptom of something else, or caused it's own problem that has developed into what you are seeing. Vet for sure either way :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beaks have a lot of nerve endings in them, so he may also need pain medication depending on how deep those fissures are. Do take him to the vet, and let us know how you get on. I hope this is an easily resolved issue and he's back to normal soon.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Beak problems are so much easier to treat the earlier you find them. I second what everyone else is saying...definitely worth a trip to the vet.
It can’t be overstated enough that beak issues can be so very painful for parrots, even when they don’t show us their pain.
Keep us updated and I hope everything goes well.:heart:

janelleO

Real Name
Janelle Ovunda
Thank you so much everyone for your replies! I sent our vet the picture I posted here and I am taking him there tomorrow morning. They think it just make may have broke off rough and they can file it and shape it but they want to make sure it’s not something else. I will update as soon as I find out tomorrow.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Best of luck at the vets tomorrow!

janelleO

Real Name
Janelle Ovunda
72744492-EB33-499F-859B-FAE95FE6DEF7.jpeg
Update on my Finn! He is back from the vet. They said they trimmed his beak and shaped it up and they were not concerned about it. They want to see him in two months to make sure it’s growing back okay. I didn’t really get an answer as to why it happened? They just said they were not concerned. He is slightly mad at me though!

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
View attachment 374661
Update on my Finn! He is back from the vet. They said they trimmed his beak and shaped it up and they were not concerned about it. They want to see him in two months to make sure it’s growing back okay. I didn’t really get an answer as to why it happened? They just said they were not concerned. He is slightly mad at me though!
I'm glad everything turned out okay! He'll get over his anger towards you. Someday... maybe. :lol: