• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker noise

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I've spoken to some quaker owners and a breeder and am getting conflicting information.
I worry I may be being far too optimistic but I suppose I want to believe those that tell me quakers can be okay in apartments.
I figured I should ask here too, though. Maybe y'all can set me straight.

Is a quaker too loud to live in an apartment?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on the bird and the apartment and neighbors, honestly.

My Quaker screamed about 8 hours a day but I never got a noise complaint on him. You could hear him a few houses away with the windows closed so I'm sure my neighbors could hear him!

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
My Quaker is the quietest of my three birds (Caique and Ringneck), but I'm still not sure I'd want him in an apartment.

mak

"The loudness of this parrot is subjective. Some owners say that it's a quiet bird, while others think they're too noisy. They do not make ear-piercing screams like other parrots, but they will call out on occasion. Their noise level should not bother the neighbors."

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Their noise level should not bother the neighbors."
Worth noting.... If you have angelic neighbours like @Mizzely that don´´t complain, then it doesn´t matter. The issue would be, ¨Will it bother you¨. We all have different levels of tolerance to noise.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Worth noting.... If you have angelic neighbours like @Mizzely that don´´t complain, then it doesn´t matter. The issue would be, ¨Will it bother you¨. We all have different levels of tolerance to noise.
Exactly. I think it does help that my neighbors were older and hard of hearing, and that it was daylight hours vs night.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone for your responses. :D

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
My QP Ralph is fairly quiet. He's lived with me in an apartment for over ten years. Ralph and Scooter (CAG) together don't make nearly as much noise as some children and dogs living in our building and there's never been a problem or complaint involving the parrots.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My quaker isn't the largest of my birds (I also have a cockatiel and a TAG), but he's by far the loudest (both in volume and duration of calls). I suspect this is due as much to personality as species and thanks to consistent training, he's improved over time. However, when he was at his worst, I was really glad I didn't live in an apartment, because the noise was definitely complaint-worthy. (My boyfriend complained about it plenty, and he LIKES my birds... the calls were loud enough to cause him physical pain).

Also, this is anecdotal, but I read a lot of bird classifieds (dunno why since I don't have room for more), and quakers seems to have "noise" mentioned as the reason for rehoming more often than other, similarly-sized species.

I love quakers, but if I were seeking an apartment bird, they definitely wouldn't be on my shortlist.

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
Right now, my Quaker, JoJo, has fits of being really loud. Loud enough to hear him at the other end of the house. I sometimes wonder if my ears are bleeding. He stays quiet a good portion of the day but when he wants food or attention, he's LOUD. He goes into giggle fits and gets fairly loud then. Though the giggling is actually cute compared to the loud screams of attention. Definitely not an apartment bird in my opinion as they can get pretty loud.