• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker Makes a TON of noise at night?

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
The second I put Eddie in his cage for betime, he goes crazy. He starts climbing up and down the sides of the cage and squawking. Then, he jumps on top of his favorite wooden dinosaur and starts swinging it around. Ever since I've had him, I noticed he seems tired during the day and energetic at night. I don't know what to do about it. I try and play with him during the day and give him plenty of things to do, but he doesn't seem very energetic. When it comes to nighttime, he wants to be out of the cage and play. Is he ok? How should I fix this because it makes it really hard for me to get sleep.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is the room dark? Is it quiet? Is he alone/ separate? Is he covered?

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Is the room dark? Is it quiet? Is he alone/ separate? Is he covered?
Eddie stays in my room with no other birds and we keep the lights off. The only light is the very dim light of my laptop until I go to sleep.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ahhh he knows you're there and wants to be with you. Have you tried to see how he does sleeping in a different room?

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Ahhh he knows you're there and wants to be with you. Have you tried to see how he does sleeping in a different room?
Well I don't know how well he'd do in a different room. He's gotten really attached to me and starts freaking out whenever I leave the room. I generally take him with me when I'm just walking around the house because he needs some time out of my room every day, so he doesn't like to be left alone now. He's just a nervous little guy in general. He gets really nervous when you pet him because he can't see your hand and he jumps at small noises. I guess I need some advice on how to deal with a nervous quaker too lol.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Is there any way you can get a little java tree tabletop playstand, or something of that sort, so that he can learn to be a little more independent while still being in the same room as you? The longer you wait to teach him independence the harder it will be on both of you in the long run.

I'm not sure how to deal with a nervous quaker because both of the ones I've had were/are fearless but I would suggest always having a little background noise on for him, such as a tv or radio. Because silence is scary in the wild.

And when he sleeps a little whitenoise like a fan or air purifier would probably be helpful. I hope someone else with better advice comes along soon....

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well I don't know how well he'd do in a different room. He's gotten really attached to me and starts freaking out whenever I leave the room.
He'd do fine. You are the cause by being in the sleep area. If "you" can't sleep then "you" have to do something to change that. Not the bird. What the bird needs is a dark quiet (white noise will help) place to sleep where you are not. He won't like it the first few times but he will get used to it. It's part of teaching independence.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
Covering the cages made a huge difference for my two. My little one also seems to get a burst of energy right after she gets put in her cage. I bought cozzzy covers for them both and they immediately go silent when I cover them now. They sleep so much better with the covers.