• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker Itchy Foot

VelvetMariposa

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone!

I recently got a little Quaker called Bobbi who is currently about 21 weeks old. He’s a very active bird, constantly chirping away and moving around his cage. Unfortunately, when we first got him, he had mites, lice or something similar and was constantly scratching and getting frustrated. The worst part was that he wouldn’t stand on one foot whenever it was itchy and he’d try biting it. We got anti mite/lice powder and within a day of applying it, all the scratching stopped. Now, every few days or so, Bobbi’s foot starts itching him again. I can see that it’s uncomfortable for him but he’s still cheerful, eating, moving etc. and sends me kisses whenever I try to help him! Whenever we apply the powder, the itching goes away for a while but what’s worrying me is the fact that it keeps coming back. The powder seems to be effective since his body stops itching. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

Note: his grip is perfect on both feet and he often stands only on the itchy foot while resting the other one so I it couldn’t be paralysis or anything similar. Also, both feet look the same.

Thanks!

Ivana and Bobbi

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting Bobbi. Have you taken him to the vet? Always good to bring bird in for a new bird check up. You should consider doing that.

VelvetMariposa

Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting Bobbi. Have you taken him to the vet? Always good to bring bird in for a new bird check up. You should consider doing that.

Thanks!
Yes, I took him to the vet for a check up but she hasn’t found anything wrong. She checked his grip and everything leg-related but everything was fine. I don’t know if it could maybe be a lack of humidity causing dry skin? Although I’m unsure why it would just be one foot then though...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Itching little things really need an avian vet for correct diagnosis and treatment. You don't want him miserable and itching!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Itching little things really need an avian vet for correct diagnosis and treatment. You don't want him miserable and itching!

VelvetMariposa

I agree, poor bird :( I took him to a vet and she couldn’t find anything. I’m beginning to think now that it might be his ring that’s annoying him... as in that it’s not fully smooth on the inside and that it’s hurting his little foot. I’ll take a look at that tomorrow. Hoping for the best!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you want the ring removed be aware some vets want the bird under anesthesia. Not necessary.

VelvetMariposa

If you want the ring removed be aware some vets want the bird under anesthesia. Not necessary.
Thanks! I wasn’t sure about that actually :) One side of the ring seems very rough, maybe that’s what’s annoying his foot.