• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker illustration from antique bird book

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The old books that have illustrations are fun to see. I have a few.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I love the Quaker in the nest. I think they’re depicting a pair in an aviary.

I can find a lot of interesting species specific illustrations on ebay if I look in languages other than English. Quaker parakeets have many other names: mouse parakeet, widow conure, Grey breasted parakeet, fly parrot (the Latin name).

when I was looking for grad schools I wanted to go to u of California as they had an avian sciences phd program. My vet thought I could smuggle my Quaker in by calling her a brotogeris parakeet but I think even 20 yrs ago California was inspecting incoming traffic for produce and animals.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
California was inspecting incoming traffic for produce and animals
Sooooo many road trips as a kid from Washington to visit family in California where we were all eating apples as fast as we could while in line at the border :roflmao:

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I’ve been sitting with my mother who’s become very ill (possibly Parkinson’s). She has a bird watching guide and I fill her feeders. Then I identify the birds and read their description to her. She dozed off when I was reading this last time so I just started browsing through the book. To my surprise, there was a page on Quaker parakeets, since they’ve naturalized in so many places in the States. It made me smile and giggle. I’ll see if I can post the picture I took of that page to share with my spousal unit.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’ve been sitting with my mother who’s become very ill (possibly Parkinson’s). She has a bird watching guide and I fill her feeders. Then I identify the birds and read their description to her. She dozed off when I was reading this last time so I just started browsing through the book. To my surprise, there was a page on Quaker parakeets, since they’ve naturalized in so many places in the States. It made me smile and giggle. I’ll see if I can post the picture I took of that page to share with my spousal unit.
Yup. There’s a Quaker in the Audubon field guide to American birds.