• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker flew away

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
That is wonderful news!!!

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Yes!!!! A harness is such a nicer thought than clipping her beautiful wings too.
What kind of harness would you all recommend? I would love to allow her to fly outside with one on but worry about her getting tangled. I have not clipped her beautiful wings and wow are they beautiful! We decided not to clip because she's been through enough and that would cause more stress. We are working on free flying in the house and man she does so great! She doesn't land on me but everytime she flies she lands on my husband. She even flies from her cage to go land on him. Once she lands though she's panting and breathing really hard. Is this OKAY?

Sherry S

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherry M Surrency
I am so happy that you got Skittles back. Precious was only missing for four hours. We were bawling our eyes out the whole time. I can only imagine the heartbreak that you felt while Skittles was missing. Thank goodness there are still honest people who care. Give Skittles a scratch for me. Like you, we have learned not to take them out doors or take for granted clipped wings. Happy your angel is home again. :sadhug2::heart::heart::heart:

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Friday morning my husband went out the back door and before he could close the door behind him Skittles flew out onto his shoulder and as he was taking her back into the house she flew away. She was in a low branch in a tree and then flew to another tree. After a bit she was flying around the yard and hanging out in the trees. We thought she would come back to her cage which we put out back with her millet and seeds. She didn't come back. I have not seen her or heard her calling. We did not clip her and had been working with her daily on flying to us on command. She had been doing a great job. This time it didn't work so she's gone again. We feel like terrible bird owners. I feel she will not come back this time and she's gone. My husband thinks she wanted to be free. I am devastated. I will never ever forgive myself or get over this. This baby that we have had since she was weeks old and was hand Fed by us and so bonded with us is gone. I thought we would have her for 20 plus years. She was a part of my daily life and waking up to her not being here is killing me.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you manage to get Skittles back again (which I hope you do with all my heart!) I am thinking it may be beneficial for you to hang a curtain in front of every external door so this can not happen again....the curtain will serve as a people reminder to check where Skittles is before opening doors and also work as a barrier for Skittles hopefully making it harder for Skittles to get a clear path outside when you do need to leave the house.
I am so sorry you are going through this again so soon, it must be stressful and heartbreaking waiting and hoping for any sight or sound from her.......I am wishing with all my heart that you find her again very soon :sadhug2::sadhug2:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Stay hopeful. You know what to do and the sooner you get everything in place and have all available eyes and feet looking for her, the sooner she will be found.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
This is our back door she flew out of. She was on her cage and literally flew to my husband as soon as he walked out and landed on his shoulder. The screen closes quickly because it's magnetized. He had reached his hand onto the door handle to close the door but she was already out. It's amazing how fast they are. Since I've had her on most and missing pets I've seen so many missing birds all over the country. There's got to be a better way to keep these birds from flying off. I know people do what they can to prevent it from happening but obviously it happens.

Attachments

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She's been out & has had a taste of fun outside. She will find that door like a heat sinking missile...

A curtain one foot in front would help give a free zone to stand before opening the screen door...

You are going to have to create a small containment zone with some sort of top covering...

I do hope her last encounter with the open flight will get her back safely.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
This baby that we have had since she was weeks old and was hand Fed by us and so bonded with us is gone. I thought we would have her for 20 plus years. She was a part of my daily life and waking up to her not being here is killing me.
I hate that you are talking that she is already lost. She is not!
Go out their and get her back, and once home make that safety door/curtain and other things so this will not happen again.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Oh no, I'm so heartbroken for you and for Skittles! Please do not give up! I Googled missing and found Quakers in nearby states and did not see an ad for Skittles. Have you posted on parrotalert.com? Post everywhere! Facebook, Craigslist, nextdoor.com, the ring app on your phone. I truly hope you find her again! :sad11:

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
If you can, contact the people who helped bring her home last time, she may go back to their house and they will be an extra set of eyes on the sky looking for her :sadhug2:I am so sorry she got out again but I agree with @Eloy you did it once, a repeat is in order! C’mon Skittles, fly home!! You are all in my thoughts ❤

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
There are so many people posting/sharing on the site that I found her on. The people who found her have been looking and calling for her. I'm just so devastated and feel so extremely guilty. I actually got a message that she may have been found but it was a budgie that someone found. Since I've been posting about her I've seen so many lost birds! I have a co-worker who's friend lost a ringneck that they had for 20 years who never even attempted to fly away but did and they can't find him. It's so disheartening. I felt it was a miracle that we found her the first time. I would give anything to get her back again.