• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker diet - Just pellets, or a pellet and seed mix?

HobanWash

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda Elizabeth
Hello!

I'm running into some confusion on pet bird diets. I've read that a seed only diet isn't good for them, which makes sense, but then whether or not a pellet only diet is good for then seems to be contended. Is just pellet OK? Or should there be a seed mix? And when I say pellet only, I mean as far as pre-packaged food. Right now I'm doing a seed/pellet/chop mix, but he doesn't seem to eat the chop very much.

When it comes to store bought food, are there brands to avoid? I'm staying away from things like sunflower seeds right now, because I want him to be eating well without being too picky.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
This should help Feathered Food Court :D What your feeding sounds good Seed/Pellet/chop mix just make sure not to feed too much seed. Let's wait for more people to respond :)

ems08

Walking the driveway
Quakers are among the species that are especially prone to being "perch potatoes", becoming over weight, and developing atherosclerosis. Because of this it's generally not recommended to freely feed a seed mix in addition to pellets. I feed Riley Zupreem Natural (it's what his breeder weaned him onto and he refuses Harrisons) and fresh food daily. He also gets safflower seeds, sunflower seeds, or little bits of almond daily but he doesn't have free access to them. If he did he would completely ignore his pellets, I'm sure! I only use seeds as rewards for good behavior and training. He does also get some nutriberries as foraging opportunities-- I usually hide them in toys, wrap them in paper, or otherwise make him work for them. Aside from health, the other challenge in feeding seeds freely is that you lose the ability seeds have to be so compelling when you're trying to train your bird!

I personally think the solid foundation of pellets, whatever brand you can get him to eat, is ideal when then supplemented with lots of enriching variety where you regulate the availability.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A varied diet is always best :)

For my quakers I always did at least 50% pellets, seeds and nuts in treat amounts (less than 10% of the diet, about 1/2 tsp a day), and the rest veggies with a bit of fruit.

HobanWash

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda Elizabeth
Quakers are among the species that are especially prone to being "perch potatoes", becoming over weighti
Is that why so many of them look fat? I know a lot of times they're just fluffed out, but I swear sometimes they just LOOK chunky.

HobanWash

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda Elizabeth
A varied diet is always best :)

For my quakers I always did at least 50% pellets, seeds and nuts in treat amounts (less than 10% of the diet, about 1/2 tsp a day), and the rest veggies with a bit of fruit.
Is there a way to get him to eat more of the fruits and veg? Or are there certain things that are liked by most quakers, like general favorites?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is there a way to get him to eat more of the fruits and veg? Or are there certain things that are liked by most quakers, like general favorites?
Time, mostly! Birds are naturally scared of new things.

Some tips:

My Chop "Recipe" (tips nearer the bottom)

HobanWash

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda Elizabeth
Time, mostly! Birds are naturally scared of new things.

Some tips:

My Chop "Recipe" (tips nearer the bottom)

Thanks!!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hmmm...mine are not perch potatoes or prone to being fat. But they are full flighted out of cage all day and are part of a flock.

I feed pellets, seed mix and lots of fresh veggies daily. While they are out they only have veggies and pellets. Seedmix only available in cage in evenings with separate pellets bowls available always.
Love their veggies