• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker Cage

Folsom

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone,
Sorry to post the same annoying questions about Cage Size and spacing. I have a cage that is 7/8 from bar center to center. The opening between bars measures 3/4. Would a Quaker be safe with this sizing. To be clear I have not acquired the bird yet so no bird is in danger at the moment.
Thanks for answering!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

I think that bar spacing would be too big. It may pose a danger to your bird eg. getting its head stuck, which I know you don't want.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!I

Edit- link one is best for cage sizes, and the second one has the bar spacing. Please try to buy the largest cage possible with the correct bar spacing though.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

I think that bar spacing would be too big. It may pose a danger to your bird eg. getting its head stuck, which I know you don't want.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!I

Edit- link one is best for cage sizes, and the second one has the bar spacing. Please try to buy the largest cage possible with the correct bar spacing though.
If i remember right this member already has the cage and is looking for an appropriate size bird to live in it.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Wait, it may be suitable. I just re-read the post and I read it as having a bad spacing of 7/8 rather than 3/4. I think you'll be fine.

Sorry for the confusion

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
3/4” width can work just fine as long as the Quaker isn’t on the smaller side. So if you get it as a younger guy, not fully grown, you may have to watch very carefully—or, if it is just a very small bird. That’s the downside of “pushing the limits” with bar width—it can depend on the size of the bird, lol. Mine was happy in a 3/4”, though, just keep a close eye if you get a bird very young.

Folsom

Yes, I do have the cage already.
The bar spacing is 7/8 (.875 in) but when you measure the gap between bars it's 3/4 (.75in). So the opening is 3/4in.
Was trying to get the largest size I could but needed up making the mistake of not getting the bars right.

@Shezbug this is my first post, was looking at getting a quaker but if my cage isn't appropriate I may re-think.

Quakerlady

Meeting neighbors
NO! I would never house a Quaker in a cage with that much space in between the bars! Quakers are very inquisitive and might get stuck.

Reactions: Ali

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
was looking at getting a quaker but if my cage isn't appropriate I may re-think.
Have you parronted before or is this your first bird? You’d need to go “up” a size in parrots if you want to have zero worries about the cage bar size (this cage could work if your Quaker is a biggie and won’t if it’s a smaller bird, so it’s iffy), and that means pretty much doubling the price range as well as the difficulty of keeping. 3/4” would be fine for a galah, a CAG, an Amazon, etc, but those are all much more difficult to keep than a Quaker. They also should have larger cages (actual cage size, not bar), so the cage you have may not work for them anyway. I would suggest trying to return or sell the cage you have if you are very worried about it rather than use the cage to decide your bird choice. :). Good luck on your parroting adventure!

Quakerlady

Meeting neighbors
Have you parronted before or is this your first bird? You’d need to go “up” a size in parrots if you want to have zero worries about the cage bar size (this cage could work if your Quaker is a biggie and won’t if it’s a smaller bird, so it’s iffy), and that means pretty much doubling the price range as well as the difficulty of keeping. 3/4” would be fine for a galah, a CAG, an Amazon, etc, but those are all much more difficult to keep than a Quaker. They also should have larger cages (actual cage size, not bar), so the cage you have may not work for them anyway. I would suggest trying to return or sell the cage you have if you are very worried about it rather than use the cage to decide your bird choice. :). Good luck on your parroting adventure!
I agree with FEATHERMAN! sell your cage and get one appropriate for a QUAKER! You won't regret it!

Reactions: Ali

Folsom

Heard loud and clear, fractions were never my strong suit! Will be looking for a different quaker cage. Thanks!