• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker Breeder Recommendations?

Kellie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kellie
Can anyone give a recommendation for a breeder able to ship a baby Quaker?

We recently moved to South Carolina, and there is a SHOCKING lack of avian, well, ... anything here. Over the past 3 months, we've transversed the state visiting 27 pet stores (big box and local) and the only birds they had available were budgies and fitches - we did see one cockatiel. Petfinder and Craig's List have no local Quakers either; but there are many out-of-state breeder ads.

There is one local breeder, set up at a flea market, who seems wonderful; unfortunately, they won't have any available Quakers until Oct/Nov of 2020. They're a smaller home-breeder, and I understand and respect their breeding calendar, but I don't want to wait 10 months.

At this point, I'm fairly certain I'll have to buy my Quaker sight-unseen and have him/her shipped. I've never done that before. Probably like most of you, I like to scrutinize the breeder, build a rapport, etc. I honestly don't feel that's possible where we're living right now.

So, if anyone has used a breeder, with good results, could you please pass along your experience? I would truly and sincerely appreciate it. I found some old threads with recommendations, but it seems like many of those breeders are now out of business. Hopefully one of you will have a more recent recommendation? Thanks so much!!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I bet the quaker association has a list of breeders. They have an adoption network as well.

Reactions: JMS

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
You are better off waiting for breeding season and looking locally for a baby during the spring and summer months when they will be everywhere. You should have no trouble finding what you want then.