• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker birb seems to HATE me…..

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Hiccup has been with us for just over a year. We adopted him from a nearby bird shelter. He was generally easygoing up until about a month ago. I had cleaned his cage very thoroughly, giving him new toys. I installed a little heater and we finally got some lights up over his cage. He seemed to get impatient with me and attacked my neck, biting me really hard. He hadn’t done anything like this before. He has since tried to attack me and my spouse if we opened his cage to hang out. He attacks the cage if either of us come near. I have marks on my neck from his most recent expression of displeasure. He used to hang around while we prepared bird breakfast and because of his behavior change, I haven’t felt comfortable letting him out. Do Quakers have a hormonal period? I knew he was cage protective, but my lack of understanding is killing me and I hate leaving him in the cage like this. I felt like we were all settling in and getting to know each other better. I’m tempted to turn his lights off. I read the articles posted in the hormonal post. The descriptions sort of fit, but the articles seemed directed towards Zons, Toos, and the larger companion species. Any experience, strength, and or hope is appreciated.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no I'm so sorry to hear that :(. Let me tag a few Quaker folks. @Mizzely @Pixiebeak
The timing does seem like perhaps the lights are at least part of the behavior change.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
So sorry hope your necks ok

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes they absolutely have hormonal periods, and they can get even more cage protective while they are going through it.

What kind of lights do you put up (CFL? LED?). some have a really bad flicker that birds actually can see and there is a theory this can cause issues for some birds. I would turn off the lights for a week and see if that helps his behavior (assuming this won't leave him in the dark)

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm, first thing, take away shoulder time for now, he's having a hormonal spell and it's best that he can;t take out his frustrations on your face and neck.
How long are the lights on? Birds need 12 hours of sleep on a normal basis but if a bird is very hormonal, try 1-2 more hours or darkness.
Limiting your birds sugar/fat/carb intake will help too, limit things like corn, starchy foods like rice, and fatty seeds and nuts like sunflower and safflower.
Also! Don't pet him anywhere except the head or neck, especially during this time as anywhere but the head means 'sexy time'

Anyways. hope this helps! Sorry @Mizzely posted at the same time!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
my quakers all protect their cages any hands on or in their cages they will bite. But as soon as they step out they are fine.

Doing a big cage change up and hanging something new and scary over their cages can be upsetting to them .

I have one when I rescued her even the smallest changes to her cage had her mad and upset and lash out. Took a couple of years for her to be able to handle rearrange cage. I had to do things slow sbd be prepared fir her to be fussy for a few days in the beginning.

I have a perch on my swing out door and in the outside of the cage by the door. I have them step out on their own to there before I interact with them. And I move them from the outside perch to top of cage or hang out perches, to do cage work and food and water. Then we are all happy and there is no stress.

I think you will have much better time with him out and away from cage.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Hearing that it may be hormonal gives me a huge sense of relief. When spousal unit and I adopted Hiccup, we said our vows :). I’m very fond of his goofy ways and vocalizations. Lights are off today, and they are LED, btw. He gets decent sunlight from the window near his cage. I was just trying to mimic the 12 hour light cycles I have read about. He usually gets a piece of walnut with his breakfast, but this morning I went with a piece of an almond slice. He gets fresh kale, broccoli, red cabbage, apple, and some red, yellow, or orange pepper slices along with a cooked (but not warm) mix of grains and legumes and whatnot for morning meal. He’s my hot mess:lol:. When he is cage top and I am cleaning, he has a tendency to pull my hair and attempts to bite my head. Spousal unit has taken to playing with him to keep his attention when wipe down the cage. Currently, I am persona non grata near the cage.
Thank you :toyou:all for your support and information. We’ll take it as it comes…gently.:confused:

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I took a risk and had Hiccup out for breakfast prep. He was gentle and the sweet fid I remembered adopting. He wasn’t interested in a bath, but wanted to be close to me. Made me cry a little. I did have to ask him to step off my shoulder but he’s been remarkably easy to target train. I think I made the mistake of treating him like one of my conures…creatures I’m a little more familiar with. I’m going to be more careful when cleaning his cage. Only replace destroyed /soiled toys and be more thoughtful about introducing new items to him. Thank you all so much for being kind and supportive and helping me learn. I’m not going to assume everything is fine, but hanging out with him this morning was a blessing.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:bubbles: :bliss::awww:
Yay!!!!