• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker behaviors by age

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Quaker lovers, tell me what your young Quaker did/does? Older bird? I think Hiccup is relatively young, although s/he might be displaying reticence as we are getting to know one another. Hiccup seems unsure about taking off in flight. I watched my conure, Max, go through this when he first came home. He was a weened baby. Gus was rehomed and is a very talented flier.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:quaker: :bump4:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Ralph was just 6 months old when he came to live with me. The one thing he did at the beginning that he doesn't do any more was hoard things by hiding them behind a sofa pillow. He put everything back there from molted feathers and small parrot toys to junk mail. After a while, he stopped. I suspect that at first, he wasn't sure if he'd ever have any of those things again, so he stashed them away for the future. :D

I don't recall how long it was before Ralph took flight. His wings were clipped when I first got him, but he was molting and new flight feathers grew in fairly quickly. Ralph is 12 now, and he doesn't fly often; usually only when something scares or upsets him, then he heads straight for the top of his cage. He's good at flying, but would much rather have me carry him around.

Axeladi

Moving in
Real Name
Idalexa
Ralph was just 6 months old when he came to live with me. The one thing he did at the beginning that he doesn't do any more was hoard things by hiding them behind a sofa pillow. He put everything back there from molted feathers and small parrot toys to junk mail. After a while, he stopped. I suspect that at first, he wasn't sure if he'd ever have any of those things again, so he stashed them away for the future. :D

I don't recall how long it was before Ralph took flight. His wings were clipped when I first got him, but he was molting and new flight feathers grew in fairly quickly. Ralph is 12 now, and he doesn't fly often; usually only when something scares or upsets him, then he heads straight for the top of his cage. He's good at flying, but would much rather have me carry him around.
my Quaker recently passed from a flight accident they are fragile and I regret not clipping his wings.. I didn’t want to take what made him a bird away, but didn’t think if the dangers of him flying indoors…

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
my Quaker recently passed from a flight accident they are fragile and I regret not clipping his wings.. I didn’t want to take what made him a bird away, but didn’t think if the dangers of him flying indoors…
I know it's cold comfort, but he would have been exposed to just as many (possibly more) dangers had he been clipped. Flighted they can hit ceiling fans, walking they can be crushed underfoot. Risk of crashing into a wall is swapped for crash landings on the floor. The list goes on and on.

Birds are just terribly, terrifyingly fragile, and sadly, accidents happen under even the most vigilant supervision. All we can do is try to make our homes as safe as possible and give them as enjoyable and enriched a life as possible. Letting him fly, letting him enjoy his birthright, the joy of motion his entire being was designed to achieve... that's nothing to regret.

I'm so sorry for your loss.