• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker barbering feathers

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
I don’t know what to do with my bird. I moved from Florida to Wisconsin to be with my significant other and before I left he was fine but suddenly he started barbering feathers. When I got him the vet found he had avian clamidiya so I’ve been treating him with meds cause I thought maybe that will stop him. He had stopped for a bit but today he started up again. I tried socks he won’t eat or drink in them, collars don’t work. I have him on avicalm, spraying feather soft, giving vitamins and was giving him bird hemp but was worried about the oil giving him fatty liver disease so I cut back so I don’t know if that’s a factor but I can’t give it to him forever. I bought him his own humidifier in case it was too dry, it’s at 45% in his corner. I’ve literally tried everything and I can’t get him to stop. And even worse is I’m extremely allergic to birds. Quakers usually weren’t a problem cause they only molt once a year and shed less but with him pulling the dander is going everywhere and I’m insanely itchy. I’m on THREE allergy meds and it’s just not working. I don’t know what else to do there’s literally zero reason for his behavior. He sleeps from 7pm to 10am typically but he’s always making bird curse noises at me and seems agitated and I’m just at a loss here. I got an air filter yesterday so maybe he hates it but I need it running cause of my stupid allergies. What else can I do I don’t want a bald bleeding bird and I just can’t get him to stop. He pulled out a blood feather today too! He’s going after his legs now too

Attachments

Last edited:

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
I should note he is itchy. A lot. He runs his beak along the top of the cage when he’s on it and I catch him scratching his head a lot with his foot. But he saw a vet before I moved and he’s almost done with the meds for avian clamydia and it hasn’t helped…

he’s in doxy, diphenhydramine, bird hemp and a vitamin

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!
:hello:

Perhaps his allergies are bothering him too. Moving from one region to another changes the allergens we are exposed to. Even the tap water is quite different between areas of the country.

Is there anything in the new home that could be bothering him? Other pets/dander? Air freshners? Smoke?

Is he molting? When was his last molt?

Does he seem stressed aside from itchiness? Did you keep his same routine and scheduled that he had prior to the move?

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
Hi and welcome!
:hello:

Perhaps his allergies are bothering him too. Moving from one region to another changes the allergens we are exposed to. Even the tap water is quite different between areas of the country.

Is there anything in the new home that could be bothering him? Other pets/dander? Air freshners? Smoke?

Is he molting? When was his last molt?

Does he seem stressed aside from itchiness? Did you keep his same routine and scheduled that he had prior to the move?
Everything is pretty much the same. No other pets but I was planning on getting a ragdoll cat. No smoke no air fresheners I only give him bottled water no tap. And I turned on the air filter yesterday so the allergens should be mostly out of here.. except for him. He’s dropping white fluff but I think he’s pulling them. Under his wing pits are bare too. He had looked like he had stopped but I’m wondering if the white fluff was him still doing it so I don’t think he’s molting. I’m wondering if it’s giardia but I’m also scared to take the bird to the vet here since while the quaker parakeet society said pet quakers are safe here.. I’m just a bit paranoid.. I don’t know what else I can do to stop him. I can’t imagine giving him less bird hemp today made that much difference? He’s playing with his toys and stuff too he has a ton of stuff but he’s doing this while he’s playing? He did scratch off some of his feathers by his beak and they’re growing back

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
It will take more than one day of running an air purifier to see a change in allergies, if that's the cause. It may take weeks even to adjust.

How long have you been in new home?

If you feel he needs to see a vet, you certainly should take him. Call around and ask first if you're worried about any species restrictions. If they're legal in your state, it shouldn't be a problem.

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
It will take more than one day of running an air purifier to see a change in allergies, if that's the cause. It may take weeks even to adjust.

How long have you been in new home?

If you feel he needs to see a vet, you certainly should take him. Call around and ask first if you're worried about any species restrictions. If they're legal in your state, it shouldn't be a problem.
I’ve been here a month and a half. He started doing this a week in when my movers didn’t get here fast enough with his cage.

They’re technically not.. but they don’t care about pets as long as they’re not flighted. And with him ruining his feathers he’s definitely not flighted. But I’ve had people misinform me a lot so I’m scared I was given the wrong info and they’ll take and kill him so.. yeah..I’m not staying here forever I’m just here til my significant other graduates college

Really? It takes that long? The brochure said 800 square feet of clear air within the hour… does that mean there’s more to it?

my major issue is how allergic I am to him. My nose insanely itches when I’m by him and I can see the dust floating up when he’s scratching. And it makes my face and my scalp itch terribly where I can’t even have my bangs over my forehead.. it’s pretty grim. I didn’t have it this bad in Florida but honestly he also wasn’t in the living room and wasn’t shredding his feathers or kicking up his dust like this…

is cbd better than bird hemp?

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Really? It takes that long? The brochure said 800 square feet of clear air within the hour… does that mean there’s more to it?
I mean the allergy response to settle down and adjust, not the purifier to clean the air.

Is it possible you're have an allergy response to the new area as well as him? Everything is in bloom at lots of days with high pollen every where.

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
I mean the allergy response to settle down and adjust, not the purifier to clean the air.

Is it possible you're have an allergy response to the new area as well as him? Everything is in bloom at lots of days with high pollen every where.
I had an allergy test done back in Florida and the tests read that feathers are my worst allergy, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m allergic to a tree here too. But I rarely go outside and I live in an apartment on the 9th floor

I’m taking so many histamine deterrents and it’s not working so hot

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
He’s constantly itchy and scratching his head how can I tell if it’s dermatitis or giardia if he had clamidiya from when I got him I wouldn’t be surprised if he had something else dormant with all the birds he was around

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Sounds like you really need to get him into the tue vet for a thorough work up.

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
Sounds like you really need to get him into the tue vet for a thorough work up.
The problem is I’m scared they’ll take him away from me here, I can drive an hour and a half to a vet in another state but I’ve spent so much money since I got him and he’s been sick since I got him. The store didn’t take any responsibility he was only two months old not even fully weaned and he had avian chlamidiya it’s ridiculous

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
The problem is I’m scared they’ll take him away from me here, I can drive an hour and a half to a vet in another state but I’ve spent so much money since I got him and he’s been sick since I got him. The store didn’t take any responsibility he was only two months old not even fully weaned and he had avian chlamidiya it’s ridiculous
Why don't you call the vet before taking him just to be sure? It's not fair to deny him needed medical care because of your fears.

You took on the responsibility (financially and otherwise) of caring for him when you brought him home. Its unfortunate that the pet store sold an ill bird. But it isn't your birds fault and he shouldn't have to suffer.

If you're unable - or unwilling - to provide the care he needs, you may think about reaching out to a rescue.

Last edited:

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
Why don't you call the vet before taking him just to be sure? It's not fair to deny him needed medical care because of your fears.

You took on the responsibility (financially and otherwise) of caring for him when you brought him home. Its unfortunate that the pet store sold an ill bird. But it isn't your birds fault and he shouldn't have to suffer.

If you're unable - or unwilling - to provide the care he needs, you may think about reaching out to a rescue.
I had thought about it since I’m extremely allergic to birds and my three allergy meds and two air filters are just not helping cause he keeps putting out more dust with his pulling but then I’ll end up losing someone I care about who thinks if I’m so willing to give up on the bird I’ll give up on them too and they’re a major reason I’m still sane despite my extremely bad last year.
But why is there zero repercussions to the pet store for selling a bird with a disease that’s supposed to be reported to the health department?? I’m high risk and I’m fine with driving him across state lines to get him seen that’s fine it’s this disease could kill me if I got it and I’ve medicated him twice for it. Two sets of 45 days and he still has chlamidiya? The pet store should be closed for selling sick birds, I don’t want to think about how his brothers and sisters ended up because I only found out because the vet recommended I test him when I took him in right after. I’m high stress after my horrendous last year dealing with abuse and more i really need a dang break

he is a really sweet bird though I’m just at my wits end trying to help while scratching my face constantly…and it sucks cause my allergies were never this bad either so I don’t understand why that’s so bad too

and for the record that’s an unfair and assumption against me. I get pet insurance for him the clamidiya was there to begin with so the insurance won’t cover it. I don’t even see the doctor for myself I grin and bear my immune system issues but I’ve taken him to the vet over and over for something the store should have been testing and being careful of.

Last edited:

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
I had thought about it since I’m extremely allergic to birds and my three allergy meds and two air filters are just not helping cause he keeps putting out more dust with his pulling but then I’ll end up losing someone I care about who thinks if I’m so willing to give up on the bird I’ll give up on them too and they’re a major reason I’m still sane despite my extremely bad last year.
But why is there zero repercussions to the pet store for selling a bird with a disease that’s supposed to be reported to the health department?? I’m high risk and I’m fine with driving him across state lines to get him seen that’s fine it’s this disease could kill me if I got it and I’ve medicated him twice for it. Two sets of 45 days and he still has chlamidiya? The pet store should be closed for selling sick birds, I don’t want to think about how his brothers and sisters ended up because I only found out because the vet recommended I test him when I took him in right after. I’m high stress after my horrendous last year dealing with abuse and more i really need a dang break

he is a really sweet bird though I’m just at my wits end trying to help while scratching my face constantly…and it sucks cause my allergies were never this bad either so I don’t understand why that’s so bad too

and for the record that’s an unfair and assumption against me. I get pet insurance for him the clamidiya was there to begin with so the insurance won’t cover it. I don’t even see the doctor for myself I grin and bear my immune system issues but I’ve taken him to the vet over and over for something the store should have been testing and being careful of.
Also I was told my a supposedly person in the know with birds that because he has clamidiya I can’t see a vet until the treatment is done cause if it’s found he has it he could be put down. He has two weeks left of this second treatment

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Also I was told my a supposedly person in the know with birds that because he has clamidiya I can’t see a vet until the treatment is done cause if it’s found he has it he could be put down. He has two weeks left of this second treatment
I’d call your local vets to find out what the facts are regarding tending to your bird instead of listening to random people in the know about the laws and what will be done if you take him for treatment.
Over the years I’ve met a few vets who treated animals they shouldn’t have and turned a blind eye to the fact that they shouldn’t have- most vets would much rather treat than euthanise…