• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker back to plucking

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
Update I got him a very appointment Wednesday and I’m going to ask him to be tested for giardia he was raised around cockatiels so it’s very possible he has it

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update I got him a very appointment Wednesday and I’m going to ask him to be tested for giardia he was raised around cockatiels so it’s very possible he has it
I'm so glad to hear it. I hope your insurance works out!

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
So… they’re not sure what it is. To find out I’d have to do a bunch of tests and X-rays. Just the exam and testing for giardia and meds for possible parasites and anti inflammatory is $400.. if that stuff doesn’t work more tests and the X-rays is close to 1k. I just can’t afford this… this is making my anxiety get so bad and my mental health is deteriorating…and I haven’t even got to the doctor for myself…

Last edited by a moderator:

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Very sorry to hear all of this. Very difficult to find any advice to give you, specially given my lack of knowledge about parrot and experience with the health system in other countries. The only thing I can say is that I think you mignt need to relax a little bit if you can, to think properly about the best thing you could do.

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
I found him today covered in blood, he had picked his two growing tail feathers. My septic powder went missing during the move so I’ve been holding him trying to get it to stop.. I don’t know what to do nothing I do works this is making me so stressed out I can’t take it. Bird hemp, chamomile and avicalm aren’t enough to calm him I don’t understand…

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I found him today covered in blood, he had picked his two growing tail feathers. My septic powder went missing during the move so I’ve been holding him trying to get it to stop.. I don’t know what to do nothing I do works this is making me so stressed out I can’t take it. Bird hemp, chamomile and avicalm aren’t enough to calm him I don’t understand…
Is he is still bleeding? I would try to stop the bleeding with cornstarch or flour if you have that available.

Please consider reaching out to a rescue (maybe an out of state one or if any in WI can refer you to one). I'm very sorry to say this but I believe this is the only best option you have right now for your Quaker's and your own wellbeing.

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
I really can’t that’s the problem cause of the rock and a hard place situation… I ran out and got corn starch and some cayenne and he’s not bleeding now. I can’t tell if he bumped them or picked them. It was both his new feathers

SunTruth

From what I get with all these issues you need to be helped to pass through this situation. Is there anyone that can help you? Your partner, a friend, your parents… I do not know. I did not understand the issue with the rescue but really you need to be helped there.

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
I keep trying to help him but nothing is working… I don’t have anyone just my significant other.. and they love the bird and they’d see me giving him up as not trying hard enough and possibly giving up on them too someday.. but I’m also scared the bird keeps acting this way he’ll end up ruining my relationship. And I don’t have anyone else…

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
An update on him. The vet has had me give him anti mites and parasites meds and an anti inflammatory, but it’s gotten worse not better. Now there’s pin feathers over a large patch of his chest, leg, sides and butt. He’s still pulling but it’s like he’s pulling it bare and then the pin feathers come in and he leaves them alone and they grow in and he finds a new place to pull. It’s really weird so he’s covered in pin feathers a lot. The next steps they said are X-rays, an expensive $250 test for feather wasting disease and a regular blood test all costing over $700. My pet insurance is at least working now. I don’t think it’s any of those, I think he’s throwing tantrums if he can’t be out a day because I’m outside or for any reason whatsoever. He’s on bird hemp and avicalm literally two calming things and the hemp enough is supposed to stop the plucking so there’s literally nothing else I can do at this point I don’t think it’s medical I think he’s throwing tantrums and there’s nothing I can do about it. I debated getting him a friend but I’m allergic to birds and I don’t want another parrot if I ever got another I’d want a pigeon they’re quieter and unlikely to become neurotic and throw tantrums like this. So really I don’t know what else to do. There’s a possibility it’s because he’s a year old and he’s hormonally frustrated but that’s a forever thing isn’t it. They said there’s an option for shots to keep that down but that’s a whole life thing.

also the vet marked him as a parrotlet which is funny

Last edited:

SunTruth

Have you ever seen him damaging his feather when you are around or is he doing that when he is alone?

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
Have you ever seen him damaging his feather when you are around or is he doing that when he is alone?
He has a cage in the living room and one in the bedroom and he does it in both and I’ve seen him do it in front of me. He does it more if the cage isn’t opened or he’s covered too long. I bought him an avian light and some feather stuff I can put in his food so hopefully that helps… but it’s weird he’s all pin feathers and he’ll choose new areas to pull and then leave the pins

SunTruth

I really hope it will get better. It is difficult when not knowing what is inducing this behavior but gradually by improving things (what he eats, what he is doing…) maybe you will be able to notice if there is something making things better.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's not fair to your bird to keep him. It doesn't even sound like you enjoy him, and he's only a year old? He has decades of life ahead, and you can't be around him without being miserable. Bird allergies tend to get worse, not better, and can start affecting your lungs and your ability to breathe.

As far as your significant other projecting their own fear onto your bird.... it is very worrisome to me that her preference is for you to suffer terrible allergy symptoms and your Quaker to suffer self-mutilation and the pain and stress that goes along with it. This is not the mindframe of an adult with healthy relationships. She'll still have abandonment issues whether you keep your Quaker or not. I don't like for any of you that she is ok with you living like this, and your parrot is the one who is going to suffer the most without understanding why.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I agree and echo, it very much seems the best thing for every single one of you is re homing.

Your misery alone and deteriorating mental health. Your partener should support and be supportive of you.

Then there is the quaker ..
Mites so very rare in America parrots, save budgies and aviary birds...all this clap trap

Mutilating is a very real thing in quakers. And finding the root stress and fixing home environment. This Mutilating can progress to them causing themselves serious harm or killing themselves ...

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
So why is it the avian certified vet gave me those meds and anti inflammatory and that’s it they wanna test for feather wasting disease next along with an X-ray? I can’t upload a video here so I uploaded a video to my Google drive this is how he’s acting I don’t really get it cause I’ve never had a bird act like this I’m trying everything I can I just spent another $120 on a light and the feather vitamins

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I can only defer to the cav who had hands on your parrot.

Its rare...

Pamela Clark does phone parrot behavior consultation. A Google should find her contact.

I'm going to bow out of your thread. As I feel my only best advice i can offer is seeking a new loving home

I wish you well. I wish your sweet buddy well

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Hi,
The vet marked him as a parrotlet because Quakers aren’t strictly legal in WI.

I’m wondering how your guy is doing now. I talked with you months ago on parrot forums.