• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker back to plucking

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
So when I moved here my quaker ripped out his wing pits on his back along with his tail. Then he stopped after I used the anti itch spray, chamomile, avicalm and I put him in the bedroom so he doesn’t see me working. They seemed to have calmed him down and he stopped doing that. Now he’s molting. His tail feathers are growing back and he’s agitated and I walked in this morning to see he tore out his shoulder worse. I don’t know what to do with this bird. I’m extremely allergic and quakers are typically more hypoallergenic but with his pulling I’m itchy to heck and it’s painful, and I’m on allergy meds. I bought more avicalm cause I ran out and gave him avian hemp but realistically I don’t know what to do if he’s going to do this every time something like a molt or a tantrum happens. I have extremely bad anxiety I have a pet to help with it and this behavior makes it worse. That’s another factor of why I put him in the room so he won’t see me anxious at work. I know it’s not the anxiety of mine cause he wasn’t doing it for awhile and I’ve been anxious at work the entire time. It has to be the molt. And I live in Wisconsin where they’re legality as a pet is in a grey area. So really I don’t know what to do…the last time he was doing these things it was barbering this was outright pulled the picture is all from last night

i should note when I was hanging out with him yesterday I did see him scratching his head urgently and flitting his wings a lot and running all over the place
EE591F1D-52B4-4109-9B77-72EC47D92BF0.jpeg

Last edited:

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
I pulled back his top feathers and it looks like he’s almost completely pulled all his down under them. I think he figured I’d never see it. I don’t know what to do he can’t be in the same room with me and he doesn’t like me much anyway and I can’t get him a friend because I’m allergic that’s even more allergies…

Attachments

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
This situation is painful to read. I am not an expert and I cannot give you an advice on the plucking issue per se, but I have just two humble suggestions:
- could you find a way to play with him a little bit? Just for trying to you and him to get a relationship, for him to think about something else than his feathers
- I also suffer from extreme anxiety that is making my life something awful a lot of time. The very fact of playing with my parrot tends to ease my anxiety, and I want to believe it is creating a better environnement for him.

By no way I am saying that all of this is plucking related and could make it stop, I am just trying to make some suggestions for you two to pass through this bad situation.

I wish the best to both of you

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
This situation is painful to read. I am not an expert and I cannot give you an advice on the plucking issue per se, but I have just two humble suggestions:
- could you find a way to play with him a little bit? Just for trying to you and him to get a relationship, for him to think about something else than his feathers
- I also suffer from extreme anxiety that is making my life something awful a lot of time. The very fact of playing with my parrot tends to ease my anxiety, and I want to believe it is creating a better environnement for him.

By no way I am saying that all of this is plucking related and could make it stop, I am just trying to make some suggestions for you two to pass through this bad situation.

I wish the best to both of you
i tried.. I tried giving him treats to get him to warm back up me. But he just backs away and because I’m so allergic every time I go near the cage my face and nose and head starts itching horribly even on allergy meds.. and he associates me with the calming meds I’m giving him so he double doesn’t want me near. I can’t even take him to the vet here I’m too scared they’ll just take and kill him but what can they do either I don’t even know why he’s doing this. When I lived in Florida he didn’t do this at all he started this three weeks after the move and I’m gonna be honest I can’t afford thousands of dollars to get a ton of tests…but he didn’t do it before

unfortunately he is making my anxiety so so much worse being around him doesn’t calm me down due to how he reacts and the pulling making the allergies even worse.. my job and life is already stressful it’s so difficult and this is just.. honestly I’m barely able to handle my life as it is right now..I once had a Quaker who was really calm and he was a life saver who would help me calm down and he was so sweet.. but he died.. and my allergies werent as bad then.. he got me through my bad parts.. and I wish it was the same with this bird but I’ve broken down so many times due to the behavior I don’t know what to do

Last edited:

SunTruth

I think first you need to relax a little bit. I do not think a vet is going to kill your bird for plucking really. Second you say it started 3 weeks ago after moving? I do not think it is a coincidence and he probably needs some time to adjust.

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
I think first you need to relax a little bit. I do not think a vet is going to kill your bird for plucking really. Second you say it started 3 weeks ago after moving? I do not think it is a coincidence and he probably needs some time to adjust.
I moved in April. It’s august so 5 months. It’s been a long time since and he had stopped and suddenly started again and nothing has changed it’s the same it’s been no different in environment same apartment. He started three weeks after my move in April

also I can’t just relax I have severe anxiety and this is making it so much worse x.x

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
Sorry very basic question but did you see a vet?
I can’t here because of the problem I mentioned with legality also I said I can’t afford massive tests. He went to the vet in Florida a couple days before I moved and he was perfectly fine.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I really think Rehoming is this best option for both of you. I dont say that lightly. But as I've followed your story elsewhere, it really seems to be the best solution.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi, sorry to hear about your situation.

What are his diet, cage, toys like? If you're not able to interact with him a lot during the day due to your allergy and anxiety does he have lots of toys to play with?

With your allergies as severe as you stated and the fact he is no longer helping you with your anxiety I do think you may have to reach out for help or more options.

Have you tried calling any vets in your area yet? You can explain the situation to them and ask if they would be willing to see him, offer any advice over the phone or if they can recommend any vets near your state.

I can’t here because of the problem I mentioned with legality also I said I can’t afford massive tests. He went to the vet in Florida a couple days before I moved and he was perfectly fine.
The issue might have occurred due to the move though so I agree with SunTruth that a vet visit should be warranted. If it's not an feasible option for you maybe you can reach out to a parrot rescue in the area and ask if they would be willing to help or offer any advice.

I think you may already know where I'm going but it doesn't seen like the current conditions are working out. Your allergy is getting worse, anxiety because of your Quaker's condition and you are unable to get him any medical attention he may need due to the legality of his breed in the state you moved to.

I'm sorry to say that rehoming or contacting a rescue does seem to be best option for both you and the bird's well being

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
Hi, sorry to hear about your situation.

What are his diet, cage, toys like? If you're not able to interact with him a lot during the day due to your allergy and anxiety does he have lots of toys to play with?

With your allergies as severe as you stated and the fact he is no longer helping you with your anxiety I do think you may have to reach out for help or more options.

Have you tried calling any vets in your area yet? You can explain the situation to them and ask if they would be willing to see him, offer any advice over the phone or if they can recommend any vets near your state.

The issue might have occurred due to the move though so I agree with SunTruth that a vet visit should be warranted. If it's not an feasible option for you maybe you can reach out to a parrot rescue in the area and ask if they would be willing to help or offer any advice.

I think you may already know where I'm going but it doesn't seen like the current conditions are working out. Your allergy is getting worse, anxiety because of your Quaker's condition and you are unable to get him any medical attention he may need due to the legality of his breed in the state you moved to.

I'm sorry to say that rehoming or contacting a rescue does seem to be best option for both you and the bird's well being
so the closest vet that is avian certified that I don’t have to worry about is an hour and a half away. He’s allowed free roam outside his cage all day and he has a ton of toys..

honestly I’ve thought of finding him a home with a friend but my significant other is really attached to him and she has some really bad anxiety over abandonment and the last time I mentioned finding him a new home she viewed it as giving up on him and worried I’d give up on her too.. so it’s complicated…

SunTruth

so the closest vet that is avian certified that I don’t have to worry about is an hour and a half away. He’s allowed free roam outside his cage all day and he has a ton of toys..

honestly I’ve thought of finding him a home with a friend but my significant other is really attached to him and she has some really bad anxiety over abandonment and the last time I mentioned finding him a new home she viewed it as giving up on him and worried I’d give up on her too.. so it’s complicated…
Really even if it is a long trip you should consider a visit to this vet.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

I really do think a vet visit is worth the drive too, because I heard plucking can be medical, environmental or behavioral and it would be easiest to catch or rule out if it's something medical with vet checkup.

Do you have an air purifier in your home? It might help with your allergy even a little. I think animals do feel our emotions so if your allergies flare up and you start to feel anxious that may also be affecting him as well.

About your SO I agree that does sound like a bad situation all around but I think she may have to compromise on this, especially with how it affects your health. Have you seen a doctor recently for your allergy symptoms? If it keeps worsening then I am afraid things will keep going downwards for you health-wise and that's definitely not good.

Maybe she would be able to help with taking care of the Quaker then (assuming she's not allergic)? I think it might be better if she can be the one to clean, change his food/water for now at least until you can work something out

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
I really do think a vet visit is worth the drive too, because I heard plucking can be medical, environmental or behavioral and it would be easiest to catch or rule out if it's something medical with vet checkup.

Do you have a air purifier in your home? It might help with your allergy even a little. I think animals do feel our emotions so if your allergies flare up and you start to feel anxious that may also be affecting him as well.

About your SO I agree that does sound like a bad situation all around but I think she may have to compromise on this, especially with how it affects your health. Have you seen a doctor recently for your allergy symptoms? If it keeps worsening than I am afraid things will keep going downwards for you health-wise.

Would she able to help with taking care of your Quaker then (assuming she's not allergic)? I think it might be better if she can be the one to clean, change his food/water for now at least until you can work something out
so I have three air purifiers… one sits right by him and I still itch it’s pretty bad. But at the same a big factor is because more pulling means more dander. I did see a allergist they said there wasn’t much I could do outside of weekly shots of $400 a month drops under my tongue that I can’t afford… that’s actually why I know that’s my allergy because they said it was the worst one I have; I’m allergic to a lot but not cats or dogs but feathers are the worst. I have a very overreactive immune system. I can’t even drink coffee now cause the allergens are already so bad having something that releases even more histamine makes is unbearable. I feel bad for him I really do and I honestly feel like someone who take better care of him someone who isn’t itchy or with ungodly anxiety who can handle that he’s a naturally nervous bird. I’ve felt it was the right thing since I moved and saw the reactions cause I’ve been itchy since.. but she got so mad at me for giving up so I spent money I don’t even have to try to help got a humidifier got the air purifiers give him avicalm and etc etc.. when I got him he had clamidiya and now that’s gone but my pet insurance labeled it as general bacterial infection so anything that he has even if it’s a different bacterial infection will not be covered. I already contacted them to dispute it and get medical records to have it changed to the specific. I’m wondering if it’s possibly giardia because he was entirely checked before I moved but it could have been dormant? If the place he came from had clamidiya everywhere why wouldn’t he also have that bleh.. poor bird…

oh and she doesn’t live with me she’s a college student.. and he blows the feathers all over my room literally the down feathers are everywhere I have to constantly vaccum.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh dear... I'm so sorry to hear how bad your allergies are and how much you're spending on the shots for your allergy.

I really feel for you to be under so much pressure but I really suggest sitting down with your SO and letting her know that this really isn't working out. You are putting yourself in debt and danger trying to keep the bird who isn't functioning as your support companion anymore. Is she aware of how dangerous this is getting for you? Severe allergies can be life threatening. I think I would suggest letting her listen in on a session with your allergist (only if you're comfortable) so she knows the severity of your allergy

If she's a college student then I think most schools have counselling or resources that she may want to reach out to for her separation anxiety and mental health. If your friend would be willing to take care of the bird for now I think it would safer for you. You and your SO can still visit the bird but at least you won't be in an environment where you're constantly exposed to allergens. It only takes one bad reaction to be life threatening.

SunTruth

so I have three air purifiers… one sits right by him and I still itch it’s pretty bad. But at the same a big factor is because more pulling means more dander. I did see a allergist they said there wasn’t much I could do outside of weekly shots of $400 a month drops under my tongue that I can’t afford… that’s actually why I know that’s my allergy because they said it was the worst one I have; I’m allergic to a lot but not cats or dogs but feathers are the worst. I have a very overreactive immune system. I can’t even drink coffee now cause the allergens are already so bad having something that releases even more histamine makes is unbearable. I feel bad for him I really do and I honestly feel like someone who take better care of him someone who isn’t itchy or with ungodly anxiety who can handle that he’s a naturally nervous bird. I’ve felt it was the right thing since I moved and saw the reactions cause I’ve been itchy since.. but she got so mad at me for giving up so I spent money I don’t even have to try to help got a humidifier got the air purifiers give him avicalm and etc etc.. when I got him he had clamidiya and now that’s gone but my pet insurance labeled it as general bacterial infection so anything that he has even if it’s a different bacterial infection will not be covered. I already contacted them to dispute it and get medical records to have it changed to the specific. I’m wondering if it’s possibly giardia because he was entirely checked before I moved but it could have been dormant? If the place he came from had clamidiya everywhere why wouldn’t he also have that bleh.. poor bird…

oh and she doesn’t live with me she’s a college student.. and he blows the feathers all over my room literally the down feathers are everywhere I have to constantly vaccum.
Listen I think for him and for you a possible and reasonable path would be first to see a vet and see what this expert thinks. From that you will get a better view and be less confuse in what to do.

And possibly as @owlsthetic suggested, after seeing the vet maybe asking your friend if he could foster him for a while. But first I think you need the opinion of a professional vet.

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
Oh dear... I'm so sorry to hear how bad your allergies are and how much you're spending on the shots for your allergy.

I really feel for you to be under so much pressure but I really suggest sitting down with your SO and letting her know that this really isn't working out. You are putting yourself in debt and danger trying to keep the bird who isn't functioning as your support companion anymore. Is she aware of how dangerous this is getting for you? Severe allergies can be life threatening. I think I would suggest letting her listen in on a session with your allergist (only if you're comfortable) so she knows the severity of your allergy

If she's a college student then I think most schools have counselling or resources that she may want to reach out to for her separation anxiety and mental health. If your friend would be willing to take care of the bird for now I think it would safer for you. You and your SO can still visit the bird but at least you won't be in an environment where you're constantly exposed to allergens. It only takes one bad reaction to be life threatening.
Oh I can’t afford to go to the allergist now I moved I’d have to start all over… after I moved they switched their systems and no matter how much I call they won’t give me my records. I don’t think my allergies are life threatening unless they’re making my reactions to things worse. Example the Covid booster made me sick a week…

i would take him to the vet but I need to fix my pet insurance first since they’re putting any bacterial as not being qualified for Any sort of return.. and it’s still a $250 deductible.. really can’t afford all this.. isn’t giardia super hard to detect and super expensive to test…

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I can’t afford to go to the allergist now I moved I’d have to start all over… after I moved they switched their systems and no matter how much I call they won’t give me my records. I don’t think my allergies are life threatening unless they’re making my reactions to things worse. Example the Covid booster made me sick a week…

i would take him to the vet but I need to fix my pet insurance first since they’re putting any bacterial as not being qualified for Any sort of return.. and it’s still a $250 deductible.. really can’t afford all this.. isn’t giardia super hard to detect and super expensive to test…
I would err on the side of caution. My cousin had gone into anaphylactic shock before from getting an allergy shot before (he's allergic to cats) so I think even having to have the medication themselves are a risk personally. I can't speak for your condition but especially if you don't have a allergist at the moment just be careful.

Some vets are willing to let you pay after or in installments. I would try asking, worst case scenario would be they say no. It may not be bacterial also, might just be a deficiency or anxiety, etc. I would let them know what exams you can and can't afford upfront.

Last edited:

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
I would err on the side of caution. My cousin had gone into anaphylactic shock before from getting an allergy shot before (he's allergic to cats) so I think even having to have the medication themselves are a risk personally. I can't speak for your condition but especially if you don't have a allergist at the moment just be careful.

Some vets are willing to let you pay after or in installments. I would try asking, worst case scenario would be they say no. It may not be bacterial also, might just be a deficiency or anxiety, etc. I would let them know what exams you can and can't afford upfront.
The vet in Florida said she had never seen a Quaker as nervous as him… so I wouldn’t be shocked at it being anxiety. But if he’s taking avicalm, bird hemp and chamomile what else can be done to calm him. And I can’t use a sock or a collar cause he stops eating

AtALoss

Meeting neighbors
The vet in Florida said she had never seen a Quaker as nervous as him… so I wouldn’t be shocked at it being anxiety. But if he’s taking avicalm, bird hemp and chamomile what else can be done to calm him. And I can’t use a sock or a collar cause he stops eating
I should note it’s under his sides under his wings and the wing pits on top he’s not tearing his tail anymore