• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker Baby ID

LindsayP3

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lindsay Powe
So we’ve traditionally had Parrotlets with have (majority of the time) sex linked feather colors (IE Males have blue on wings, females don’t)… but we recently got 7 Quaker babies from someone with a death in the family and were hand feeding them out…2 opaline green and 5 blue. One of the blues has a deformity on its leg so it’s easy to tell, but how do you all go about telling babies apart?

I’m pretty sure they are too big for banding (4 weeks). But I could be wrong, we never banded before as we could easily tell babies apart so we knew genders.

Now we have to send for DNA testing and are unsure how to differentiate other than separate all the blues and greens but they are still so little and huddle for warmth (not fully feathered).

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Any pictures of your babies ?

ems08

Walking the driveway
The opaline green is so gorgeous! The breeder I am in the process of adopting from had a hard time sourcing bands for a little bit and so she used some type of dot on the top of their heads. From the pic it looked like a spot of marker more than like a sticky dot. Not sure what she used though, I just saw pictures and the comments explained it was to tell them apart while she was waiting for bands and that it would wash off.