• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker and cockatiels

Jaspa

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hello

I havnt been on here for a while and so enjoyed reading up last night.

I have two hand reared cocktails who aren’t bonded - a male and female.

Was thinking of getting another tiel but really want to upsize. Saw a one year old tame cuddly male Quaker at pet store Saturday when getting branches done for ours and fell in love. I’ve been reading up on Quaker’s and deciding if he’s for us - I have 4 year old twins too. Wondering if life won’t be the same for the cockatiels with constant monitoring when all out of the cages. Would love to hear experiences good and bad. Thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My mother in law has both quakers and a cockatiel and she can't let them out at the same time, sadly. The cockatiel gets bullied by the quakers.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I'm glad you mentioned that Shawna. I believe that another member here, just lost 1 of their birds in a cross species bird on bird attack which was (if I remember correctly) 2 birds that had been harmonious for a long period of time.

Quakers are also illegal to own in some states, be sure to look into this before you adopt or purchase one.

Jaspa

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Happened to be looking for something and spotted my old post! I ended up getting the quaker referred to above, he's the most gorgeous bird, bonded to me, very cuddly, not cage territorial, but doesnt like the kids much. Having to watch him with my two cockatiels and often let them out separately if I cant supervise.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
This update is not complete without pictures!!!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
What's his name?
Beautiful! Sweet update!
That's a polite distance he is giving the tiels, plus says you are part of my flock.

Jaspa

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
What's his name?
Beautiful! Sweet update!
That's a polite distance he is giving the tiels, plus says you are part of my flock.
Thanks! Gizmo :) Often get closer and the kids scream at me about it, luckily. Olli the grey cockatiel thinks he's the boss and so far been okay, he pushes it sometimes. However, Codi the grey/white cockatiel who typically stays away got a little close a few weeks ago and had a little nip (went to vet) so am now very vigilent and restricting togetherness.