• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker “biting”

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I put biting in quotation marks because it doesn’t seem to be a bite-bite.

Pudge reminds me of a puppy, in that he has to mouth everything as he explores. Occasionally though, that exploration includes my fingertips or ears. He’s not doing it to hurt, although he has gotten pretty close to causing some pain because earlobes are squishy. I’ve tried redirection, giving him a toy or something to distract him, but it doesn’t seem to be working too well. He comes right back to nibble me instead.

I’ve also started removing myself from him(ie - putting him down elsewhere so he can’t munch me), but I admit I don’t know if this is good. I’m only versed in dog training, where this does work, and birds seem mildly smarter than dogs so…

Am I correct in assuming this is an exploratory “bite”? If redirection doesn’t work, what’s a another step I can try?

RoccoTaco

Moving in
Real Name
JC
If you want, you can try softly holding his beak together, just to the point of discomfort. Have you tried rewarding when he bites a toy instead of your hand?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
If you want, you can try softly holding his beak together, just to the point of discomfort. Have you tried rewarding when he bites a toy instead of your hand?
I haven’t, beyond praising verbally. I can’t seem to find a reward he likes. He doesn’t seem particularly food motivated.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
parrots are more than mildly smarter than dogs. Science is putting them on par or smarter than primates .

Quakers at least my 4 have been quick to learn bite pressure . As what is acceptable and they are careful to remain in that. They really to preen you and make a lot of beak contact and I call beak communications, like holding, pushing, hrbtal scrape, bonk and such. And mine have a scolding beak bite that that is clearly displeasure but done oh so careful. That being said a true bite will hurt leave a mark or bruise and can draw blood. I've only received those if I'm foolish enough to stick my hand in their cage or once reaching to remove a treat from two sparring over it. And in early days of Penny rescue and Phoebe coming home.

On bite pressure, I warned mine be careful or be nice. If it was unacceptable pressure I told them no in a firm calm voice and i squint a little hard eye contact at them moved them off me.

There is so much on parrot behavior and parrot body language out there. It's worth ready as much as you can. Reading up on shaping, applied behavior positive reinforcement.

And parrots bite for a reason, and its best to take the approach that it is your fault. You didn't pick up their other cues, you are forcing interactions, when you should be using permission based and allow refuses. They are protecting their space or mate. They are trying to warn you to fly away from a threat. You've invaded their personal space...there are lots of reasons

This is a good quick review and down in the link covers bites briefly

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
This one is nice as well

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Sticky threads under behavior

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Like I said, I don’t think it’s meant to hurt - I definitely know he could cause a good bit of pain if he intended. Maybe it’s more testing the waters, seeing where boundaries are? The only place he uses pressure is when he gets my fingers, usually across the knuckle nearest the fingertip. It doesn’t hurt, exactly, but it’s not exactly a nibble lol.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Like I said, I don’t think it’s meant to hurt - I definitely know he could cause a good bit of pain if he intended. Maybe it’s more testing the waters, seeing where boundaries are? The only place he uses pressure is when he gets my fingers, usually across the knuckle nearest the fingertip. It doesn’t hurt, exactly, but it’s not exactly a nibble lol.
He's experimenting with bite pressure, so now's a good time to teach him that humans are delicate flowers that need to be handled gently. If he pinches a bit too hard, pretend you're another bird who just got a sensitive pinfeather chomped. Squawk and "fly away" (set him down if you're holding him, and move away). Assuming he likes interacting with you and wants you around, he won't want to hurt you and will eventually learn how much pressure is okay.

RoccoTaco

Moving in
Real Name
JC
I haven’t, beyond praising verbally. I can’t seem to find a reward he likes. He doesn’t seem particularly food motivated.
You can try using toys instead as a reward.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm sharred all, because things can south quickly. There have been folks who accidentally reinforce and make things worse, folks who react badly and get frustrated/angry/fearful. Folks who turn to physical punishment ( absolutely never ever should be used)

Its all good information to be prepared with in advance, or good brush up , useful to other readers. I myself return to behavior and articles to brush up. Even after decades and multiple parrots living with me.

Hopefully all does stay in the sweet and exploration side! But great articles and links worthy of a read

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm sharred all, because things can south quickly. There have been folks who accidentally reinforce and make things worse, folks who react badly and get frustrated/angry/fearful. Folks who turn to physical punishment ( absolutely never ever should be used)

Its all good information to be prepared with in advance, or good brush up , useful to other readers. I myself return to behavior and articles to brush up. Even after decades and multiple parrots living with me.

Hopefully all does stay in the sweet and exploration side! But great articles and links worthy of a read
Oh absolutely! I like being fully prepared - it’s why I ask questions constantly on here (freaking *love* this forum).

I can thankfully say I’m good at not reacting poorly, and I think I can attribute it to working at a vet. Staying calm in a charged situation is imperative for a lot of animals, because your reaction can so often feed their reaction. Tteok has gotten me good a couple times - my own fault. He was trying to get my attention and I was texting someone, so he chomped down on that bit of skin at the side of my fingernail. Turns out, that’s really tender :roflmao: My reaction was to slowly remove my hand, because jerking away does no one any good. Also he’s still working on training me, the little butthead, so I imagine this was his way of letting me know I wasn’t doing well in my “lesson”. Turd.

I’m glad you posted those links! Pudge’s body language is so incredibly different from Tteok’s. Plus being so young, I imagine he’s still trying to find what “works” for me, the same way I am for him.

I just wish he were as food motivated as Tteok. It would make training so much easier.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Oh absolutely! I like being fully prepared - it’s why I ask questions constantly on here (freaking *love* this forum).

I can thankfully say I’m good at not reacting poorly, and I think I can attribute it to working at a vet. Staying calm in a charged situation is imperative for a lot of animals, because your reaction can so often feed their reaction. Tteok has gotten me good a couple times - my own fault. He was trying to get my attention and I was texting someone, so he chomped down on that bit of skin at the side of my fingernail. Turns out, that’s really tender :roflmao: My reaction was to slowly remove my hand, because jerking away does no one any good. Also he’s still working on training me, the little butthead, so I imagine this was his way of letting me know I wasn’t doing well in my “lesson”. Turd.

I’m glad you posted those links! Pudge’s body language is so incredibly different from Tteok’s. Plus being so young, I imagine he’s still trying to find what “works” for me, the same way I am for him.

I just wish he were as food motivated as Tteok. It would make training so much easier.
Have you got ur new bird now then ?

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Millie does this too, I think its an exploratory thing.
you can try redirecting their attention with a toy, a treat, or some scritches or attention when they try to nibble on you.
Sometimes I have found paper is a good disraction if your bird enjoys shredding paper.

Let us know how it goes! good luck! ^^

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I find that kiwi tries to explore with his beak. It doesn’t hurt when she explores. She usually only does it for attention. A simple scritch will fix if.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie seems to be going through this too, testing the boundaries of bite pressure. He doesn't nibble my ears anymore, but it's the first thing he checks with new people, like "hm is it still not allowed? oh ok not allowed. how about you? oh ok not you either." :laugh:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Opie seems to be going through this too, testing the boundaries of bite pressure. He doesn't nibble my ears anymore, but it's the first thing he checks with new people, like "hm is it still not allowed? oh ok not allowed. how about you? oh ok not you either." :laugh:
Yeah he definitely loves going around the cup of my ear like he’s just making sure I know he’s there :roflmao: