• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quail got stepped on

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
My 5 year old brother stepped on my 3 year old quails wing and after when I checked on her she can’t keep her balance she already had a broken leg and she could walk with one leg and now she can’t keep her balance what can I do?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd definitely bring her to the vet as soon as possible. It could be that her wing is only bruised and is too sore to hold properly, or the bones may be broken, which would have to be determined with a radiograph; either way, she's likely to be in significant pain, and may need painkillers to alleviate it. Did she see a vet when her leg was broken, and is it at all functional?

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
For the broken leg I did brought her to the vet And they just had to put a cast on but with the balance issue not yet I don’t think theirs any broken bones because her wings flap normally idk maybe it was the sudden weight The vet I go too gets really busy so I can only bring the the quail 4 days later

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
But they aren’t certain that the leg will heal

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Sounds like the leg was possibly reinjured. Definitely take it to a vet ASAP.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
4 days is a long wait for the vet. While you are waiting for your appointment keep a close eye on your bird. Make sure she is eating and drinking normally. If she isn't you need to come up with solutions to aid her. Possibly lower bowls or raise feeding areas anything to ensure she gets a proper meal. She is probably in immense pain. Gives her soft easy surfaces to walk on and let her rest as much as she needs.

Is there a chance another vet in your area can see her sooner? Poor little quail :(