• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Q's about collars

RadiantG

Moving in
Hi everyone!

We have a wee 16-year-old GCC chronic picker (about the last 3 years, but we've had her since she was just under 1yo) called Pippin, and I've reluctantly decided it might be time to try collaring her.

We worked out why she started picking a long time ago -- we'd rescued a kitten, and Pippin decided it was a load of fun to get down on the floor of her cage and do roly-polies and beep so the kitten would stand up to watch her (the cage bottom is at a height where the kitten could just see in if he reeeeeeeached up). Unfortunately, this kitten was especially inquisitive and impressionable, and by doing this Pippin taught said kitten that she was very entertaining, so he started poking his head up under the covers at night to try and see her. Obviously that was scary and not on her terms, and she quickly started picking. Once we realised this was what had been happening, we made a bigger effort to secure the bottom of her cage cover and put a little fence around the base of the cages, and the kitten was no longer able to reach her cage or look in under the cover. The picking slowed down, but over time she's ramped it back up again. At this point, she's basically picked her underwings, legs, and some of her tummy completely bare. We've ruled out what we could -- diet, toys, boredom, surroundings, sleep, vet, etc -- but it seems she got into the habit of picking and can't break it. So I've reached the 'try a collar?' point in my list.

Pippin's a little bit special, so I just want to make sure I don't get her further out of sorts by going about this the wrong way (she doesn't seem to be able to see too well out of her peripheries, so she's prone to startling, and she has a bit of a wonky foot -- though I doubt that'll cause problems with a collar).
Anyway, my actual questions for ya'll!

Is a collar left on all the time, or do you take it off? She seems to be doing the bulk of her picking at night.

Given her sight's questionable, do you think I should try and get a collar colour that's close to her body colour?

I'm guessing how long she ends up wearing this would be totally dependent on her ability to break the habit?

I'm also guessing there's a reason they're all made from fleece? Is it harder for our birdies to chew up and swallow or something?

And lastly, any tips for getting it on (and keeping it there) with hands intact, haha?

I'm also going to try giving her a proper forage box -- she has a lot of shred, but I saw some neat boxes in another thread with fun things inside that I think she'll love for Xmas! She freaking LOVES to preen and shred things.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Giving this thread a little bump for attention

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Sadly I have no experience with collars. @Danita may have plenty of good tips. :)

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have an overpreening black capped conure so I'd love to hear what people have to say about collars. I haven't tried one on him mainly because I'm afraid of making him more stressed. :shrug: @irenefrijns that one lovebird you're going to foster is in a collar, do you have any thoughts?

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
My Quaker, Boo, barbers his chest feathers and has mutilated under his wing from time to time. Usually mutilates in the spring from over zealous hormones. I’ve tried many different types of collars, and it’s difficult to keep little Houdini in one. Since he can cause a nickel size wound in 15 minutes, I’ve had to resort to taping the collar on, the simple Velcro doesn’t work.
It’s heartbreaking. He sits in his happy hut and becomes very depressed. Even though he can raise his wings to balance as he moves around the cage, he still loses his footing and tumbles down. I have to leave the collar on 24/7 in his case to let the wound heal. Eighteen months ago, I couldn’t break the cycle and felt like something else had to be done. We tried Haldol, that produced a zombie bird, next Gabapentin, for possibly nerve pain causing the picking. That didn’t work, finally Prozac, that was our miracle drug. After six months of wearing a collar, I could leave it off. Now he is drug free.
Boo and I were both despondent when he wore a collar. And there’s no guarantee it will break the habit. Pulling feathers out releases endorphins, and becomes a compulsion quickly. I don’t believe pluckers do it because of boredom, lack of attention, or no toys. It may start out for one reason, but it continues for many more. It parallels with nail biting, people who pull their hair out, cutting ones self, etc. I think that’s why my Boo stopped mutilating because the Prozac worked with the serotonin brain chemistry. His chest feathers will never be full again, but I can live with that.
Do you already have a collar you want to try? I’d suggest getting a current weight before starting and weigh the collar also. Some birds adapt and accept the collar. It took two people to put Boo’s collar on. It was traumatic for all. This is a picture of Boo in his ruffled collar. Ignore the idiot human he’s with. I’ve tried fleece ruffled collars, noodle collars, and soft knit pull over collars. Keep us posted on Pippin’s progress.
Hugs.:heart2:

Attachments

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I have an overpreening black capped conure so I'd love to hear what people have to say about collars. I haven't tried one on him mainly because I'm afraid of making him more stressed. :shrug: @irenefrijns that one lovebird you're going to foster is in a collar, do you have any thoughts?
Well, all I can say about it now is that he has it because it might be a skin disease that is healing.
A little more over a week ago he got the collar. He was not happy with it in the beginning. Still he tries to put it of sometimes. And he can't fly or climb right now. But besides that he seems to be doing fine, and being his old self again.
But it does make them a little bit less mobile, so if Pippin has a wonky foot, it might not be the best idea. They will probably stay a little lower to the bottom of the cage.

Does Pippin get out of cage time? A lot of the times plucking is related to hormones. And a collar is in my opinion more of a temporary solution. Some people make sweaters for them out of socks. But I don't have much knowledge about that.

I'm sorry to say, but it sounds a little like the cat is the source of the stress. Are they able to live in separate spaces in your house? Does Pippin has a friend or is he a lone bird? I'm asking because I will also be foster a bird that comes from a home where there also was another parrot. That brought so much stress that he also plucked. Now he doesn't even have a tail anymore. Sounds a little bit like your story.

Really hope you find a good solution for everyone!

b6lego

Meeting neighbors
@tjc You should remove the happy hut because if your bird chews it they can ingest the fibers and cause an impaction and the cozy dark corner can mimic a nest and cause your bird to get very hormonal and become aggressive.