• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pvc diy playstands and gyms

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You can find lots of ideas in a photo search, and I believe there are quite a few threads here about them. Just search pvc in the search bar and you should be able to find them.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You can find lots of ideas in a photo search, and I believe there are quite a few threads here about them. Just search pvc in the search bar and you should be able to find them.
I found this thread:

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
There are lots of good tutorials on youtube and ideas on pinterest you can look at!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Sherie! 1.welcome signs.gif

You may find some ideas over in DIY Drive too :)

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I can show you my unfinished one once I get home! Its mostly done

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
For the base, buy a large plastic drip pan at Home Depot that they sell to put under washing machines. It has a lip.

I put this with the playstand on a small table. The playstand is about 4’ tall, I guess.

Buy 2 lengths of 10’ PVC to start, and a bunch of joiners, end caps, t-joiners, etc. You can always return what you don’t use.

Draw up a rough plan before going to the store to make a materials list. Three lengths of pipe, 15 end caps, 8 t-joiners, etc. Your plan will now tell you the longest lengths of PVC that you’ll need. This is important:

Get a PVC cutter. It’s just like a large scissors. And have a tape measure with you, because...

Unless you have a truck, those long pieces of PVC aren’t going to fit in your car, even sticking out the window. So cut those long pieces off in the parking lot to make them all shorter.

Incorporate as many crazy little perches as you can...and don’t overthink it.

To connect pieces, the tension alone will hold the thing together. If you want to use PVC adhesive, okay. I just used tiny sheet metal screws to attach pipe to connectors.

Finish with vet wrap (order a lot), and voila.

I used simple jute twine to connect the chains because it gives him something else to chew on and play with! When he succeeds in destroying the rope, I just tie it up again.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
For the base, buy a large plastic drip pan at Home Depot that they sell to put under washing machines. It has a lip.

I put this with the playstand on a small table. The playstand is about 4’ tall, I guess.

Buy 2 lengths of 10’ PVC to start, and a bunch of joiners, end caps, t-joiners, etc. You can always return what you don’t use.

Draw up a rough plan before going to the store to make a materials list. Three lengths of pipe, 15 end caps, 8 t-joiners, etc. Your plan will now tell you the longest lengths of PVC that you’ll need. This is important:

Get a PVC cutter. It’s just like a large scissors. And have a tape measure with you, because...

Unless you have a truck, those long pieces of PVC aren’t going to fit in your car, even sticking out the window. So cut those long pieces off in the parking lot to make them all shorter.

Incorporate as many crazy little perches as you can...and don’t overthink it.

To connect pieces, the tension alone will hold the thing together. If you want to use PVC adhesive, okay. I just used tiny sheet metal screws to attach pipe to connectors.

Finish with vet wrap (order a lot), and voila.

I used simple jute twine to connect the chains because it gives him something else to chew on and play with! When he succeeds in destroying the rope, I just tie it up again.
You’ll need at least three lengths of PVC to be safe, not two like I wrote. So buy four!

If you spend the time rough designing it on paper before hand, you’ll know how much you’ll need.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok....I now have a new weekend project!!!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That works for me :) I'm a hydrogeologist, so installing wells and drilling holes in pvc is kinda my jam!

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
That works for me :) I'm a hydrogeologist, so installing wells and drilling holes in pvc is kinda my jam!
HAH!!! So you know the deal!!!

I don’t know what diameter PVCis best for your type of bird(s) though.

My Amazon has a ball with his. See that little piece of rope hanging on the lower right corner near the love seat? My wife sits on the loveseat, climbs down the rope, dangles from it with just his beak, and reaches his feet out PERPENDICULARLY so he can step up to her!

It’s hysterical.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup, 1/2 inch should be fine :) And....I happen to have some already!