• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Putting your bird to the floor

Eclipse

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kyde
Hello may i please ask what to do, i let my cockatiel wonder around in our floor and jusg enjoy but this morning i was having breakfast and accidentally stepped on my bird. He screamed and flew away. I was so heart broken i tried to go next to him but he flies away. Everytime i put my hand near him he'd go away and hiss at me. When i whistle he doesnt respond anymore and i feel so scared sad and guilty. What should I do?

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Just keep talking softly to him and reassure him that it won't happen again. When I stepped on my U2, I apologized profusely and kept telling him that I was only a stupid human (he seemed to like that last part).

Go about your business and don't force him to do anything- he'll come around.

The only thing I would add is to try to keep him off of the floor and to be extra mindful when he is down there. The fact that he is a little critter means that the outcome could have been much worse- please take that into consideration.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A mod will most likely move this posting. @Zara ,

Please do not put a bird on the floor. As you found out its dangerous. Can you see if bird is injured?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you step on his whole body or just part of him (e.g his tail)?

If he isn't visibly injured, do keep an eye on him for a few days, watching for a change in behaviour (fluffed up, quiet, not moving very much). If he seems "off" then take him to a vet for a check up.

If not, then just take it easy! He'll forgive you in time. He's understandably a little scared, with tiels they tend to need time to recover from a scary experience. Don't bother him if he doesn't want it, let him keep his distance.

I hope he is OK. :sadhug2: Certainly keep him off the floor in the future :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A mod will most likely move this posting. @Zara ,
Done.

Welcome to the Avenue Kyde :)
I have moved your thread for better visibility. I hope your bird is ok.