• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Putting bird to bed with an injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Yoshi got a scrape on his foot this morning. It's not very serious, but we've had to keep a constant eye and often hold him to prevent him from chewing on it. If we can just go for a stretch with him not chewing up it, it should heal up really fast. I'm very nervous about putting him to bed tonight. If we put him to bed with the room completely dark and a cover over his cage, will he not chew on it? What else can we do?

*911 because I need advice soon

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would try and wrap it with something, but leave a little tail for him to "worry". Nothing long enough to get tangled up in anything but maybe just a 1/2" tail. I don't want to alarm you but I have read about a couple of birds over the years who have actually bitten off a toe or did more damage to the boo boo when it was left unattended. Hopefully someone else will answer soon.

Ginger

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I would try and wrap it with something, but leave a little tail for him to "worry". Nothing long enough to get tangled up in anything but maybe just a 1/2" tail. I don't want to alarm you but I have read about a couple of birds over the years who have actually bitten off a toe or did more damage to the boo boo when it was left unattended. Hopefully someone else will answer soon.

Ginger
Thank you very much for the advice.
The problem with wrapping it is that it's in a very awkward position. We've tried to wrap iy many times, but there's no way to wrap it tight enough, so it just slides around and reopens the wound.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OK, I have had birds with leg/foot injuries and use Cayenne pepper powder on it to kill the pain and help the healing...if he is chewing on it...he is in pain...the cayenne will numb it and the healing is great....you can make a paste of water/cayenne about dough consistency and put it on the area...if he "eats" some of it ...it won't hurt him and can be beneficial to him also....:hug8:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Billy Faye gave you great advice on the cayenne. Another great product but expensive is SilvaSorb gel.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.