• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Putting a baby conure in big cage

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Thank you. So do you recommend taking the hammock out. I noticed a bad behavior with my son toy cubby so we have removed it. I will remove the hammock too. But he does seem to like to hide. But he is only 9 weeks I do not want bad behaviors.
Cubby spaces and diving under cushions or getting under furniture can definitely be a trigger. I've seen that in mine. While I haven't had this with mines sleep tents.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I definitely support safety, don't get me wrong!

Platform perches , up high , with toys in front for a visual screen can work excellent. Conure seem to want to lay down when sleeping.

As mentioned, there are lots of other options out there to try.

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
I use these and this brand. As low fuzz. Have for a decade and rotate out any that get chewed on.

Huts get jumped on like crazy. And I don't dispute the danger of the really fuzzy ones. That when you pinch you can pull all this synthetic fuzz off. Those can get wrapped around tongue and impact crop.

But so can any cotton rope perch, yarn like preen toys, fabric. Those mop like preen toys are so dangerous The biggest culprit by far are the rope perches, as viewed in crop dissection study with extremely graphic photos. Yet I never read of warnings on those. Any rope perches that are chewed should be replaced. If you have a parrot that really likes to chew those then they shouldn't be used st all. Crop impactions silently( mostly,) build up over time until causing issues or death.

i have one parrot who can not have rope perches in her cage, she will pick them apart in a day. Outside of the cage she leaves them alone.
I'm also getting the safer tiki hut for her. As she destroys every other kind of tent I tried.
We do have a rope perch and with my previous budgies we also monitored. So far he just enjoys climbing it. I will keep a close eye it. The hut we have is not the fleece one it is a smooth fabric. As for aggressive behaviors I don't want them starting. Thank you for your information ❤

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We do have a rope perch and with my previous budgies we also monitored. So far he just enjoys climbing it. I will keep a close eye it. The hut we have is not the fleece one it is a smooth fabric. As for aggressive behaviors I don't want them starting. Thank you for your information ❤
Unfortunately none of mine has ever been able to safely keep a rope perch even with adding vet wrap. When Zazu and Tobias were babies they left them alone and just chewed their wooden toys but as they got older they chewed them to the point they had to be removed.

Nala was the worst about it and she was already a mature adult when I adopted her but she'd actually swallow the threads so she only was allowed ropes on her play tree were she had so much else to do that she didn't focus on the rope. I really thought that Bosco would be my first bird that could finally keep a rope perch and he was fine the first maybe 3 months and than sure enough I came home one day and he'd just gone to town shredding the perch and vet wrap was promptly ripped off and the rope chewed again so I put a small one outside his cage for constant supervision.

I've just had constant bad luck in that regard for many years and several birds but like Mizzley said hundreds of others haven't had a single problem so it all just depends on the bird and their behavior. If I'd been able to keep them in their cages I'd always have one because it makes a fabulous highway to traverse the cage and is soft on their feet so there's definitely a lot of benefits to having one in the cage as long as it remains safe :).

I'd just very carefully monitor the perch every day and go from there hopefully Skittles will be one of the lucky ones that can safely keep and enjoy one.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perfect. It's coming out! I want no accidents or bad behavior here. We will hang more toys and make it safe.
Try covering the corner of his cage where it was so its a little darker for him this may help the removal of it easier.

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
Try covering the corner of his cage where it was so its a little darker for him this may help the removal of it easier.
We have a cage that had a playground on top and has a tray under that so it's nice and dark at the top. We pit a perch there now and toys. He seems happy.

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
Well Mr. Skittles has become a pro lol. He now refuses to stay low and is sitting on a higher perch where he seems to be settling in for the night. I've moved him down twice and he goes right back up. I assume he is good there now?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like he's confident enough to handle being up high. I'd keep something soft on the bottom like a non thready towel or smooth blanket for a week or so just to make sure if he has any unexpected falls when he's navigating the entire cage but the more he climbs around the more coordinated he will become.
They will naturally seek out the highest perches in the cage as in the wild roosting high equals safety.

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
It sounds like he's confident enough to handle being up high. I'd keep something soft on the bottom like a non thready towel or smooth blanket for a week or so just to make sure if he has any unexpected falls when he's navigating the entire cage but the more he climbs around the more coordinated he will become.
They will naturally seek out the highest perches in the cage as in the wild roosting high equals safety.
Thank you. He has been climbing non stop for the past couple of days and has figured out how to jump from perch to perch lol.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you. He has been climbing non stop for the past couple of days and has figured out how to jump from perch to perch lol.
Aw he sounds like quite the brave boy :heart:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He most certainly is. Climbs and jumps everywhere. Very entertaining lol.
Aww Greenies are the best. I miss mine so much,they are such a wonderful playful species.