• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Putting a baby conure in big cage

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Thank you! He seems to be a very quick learning. Learned step-up in the first full day we had him. He is so much fun already!
Off to the pet store for perches today!
Looking forward to seeing his set up

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Looks like a great start! Post more photos once the cage is all set up!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
One thing I would say is to use a bedding like plain paper towel or newspaper for the bottom of the cage. Walnut, corn, and other litters take away the ability to truly monitor their droppings, and droppings are one of our main ways of seeing at a glance if an illness or other issue is going on. :)

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
Somewhat setup. Want to add some more perches but the oet store didn't have much so ordering lol. But this is a start.
2 other pictures is a cubby we keep our 4yr Olds toys but Skittles believes he should be in there whenever he is out of his cage lol

Attachments

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Being as he always climbs up to the top of his cage, would it be safe to add a perch up there or should we wait?
I would put a perch up high for him he is climbing confidently and will be much happier if he has somewhere higher to perch.

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
I would put a perch up high for him he is climbing confidently and will be much happier if he has somewhere higher to perch.
We have 2 higher now and a little hammock as he seems to love to hide.

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
Will you be adding toys?
We got him foraging cubes, and another toy along with his millet. Will be getting some more, didn't want to overwhelm the baby, as well the pet store we went to didn't have much.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Skittles loves his new hammock.
He looks so cute,but I'd be very wary to let him keep that. Unfortunately many birds especially Conures have died by either ingesting the fibers from the bottom and sides or by chewing a hole in it and getting caught and panicking to the point of a heart attack or getting stuck and suffocating.
There's also the risk of hormones coming into play after maturity and that being viewed as a nest.
There are safer alternatives though in regards to chewing like the Tiki Nook at Seriously Nutz.

heres the link Tiki Nook Bamboo Swing ~ Seriously Nutz ~ Small Natural Swings for Small Parrots

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
He looks so cute,but I'd be very wary to let him keep that. Unfortunately many birds especially Conures have died by either ingesting the fibers from the bottom and sides or by chewing a hole in it and getting caught and panicking to the point of a heart attack or getting stuck and suffocating.
There's also the risk of hormones coming into play after maturity and that being viewed as a nest.
There are safer alternatives though in regards to chewing like the Tiki Nook at Seriously Nutz.

heres the link Tiki Nook Bamboo Swing ~ Seriously Nutz ~ Small Natural Swings for Small Parrots
Wow! Thank you for that information. I will loom into the tiki nook for sure.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! Thank you for that information. I will loom into the tiki nook for sure.
You're so welcome,it doesn't happen to every bird of course but I'd never want to not say something just to be on the safe side.

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
You're so welcome,it doesn't happen to every bird of course but I'd never want to not say something just to be on the safe side.
Absolutely, I greatly appreciate any insight. He was raised in a bin till he was weaned at the breeder so he seems to like to be enclosed. This is why we got it. But thankful to know this and be aware that there is safer options.
He kept hiding In a storage cubby (above picture) when he was out of the cage so we had to rearrange that, as whenever we had him out he would not sit with us just kept going in there. Did not want him starting a bad habit of being in there and not bonding with us while he is out.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Conures like green cheeks are cavity nesters, meaning they sleep and lay eggs inside holes in tree trunks. It's a very natural thing for them, which is why they like enclosed spaces :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Absolutely, I greatly appreciate any insight. He was raised in a bin till he was weaned at the breeder so he seems to like to be enclosed. This is why we got it. But thankful to know this and be aware that there is safer options.
He kept hiding In a storage cubby (above picture) when he was out of the cage so we had to rearrange that, as whenever we had him out he would not sit with us just kept going in there. Did not want him starting a bad habit of being in there and not bonding with us while he is out.
Aw bless his little heart,I bet he'd love the Tiki nook there's even a little toy inside,mine has a short length of safe plastic chain and another had a few beads hanging I believe. My current Linnie is still too nervous to go in but I know my past Conures would have been all over this toy.

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
Conures like green cheeks are cavity nesters, meaning they sleep and lay eggs inside holes in tree trunks. It's a very natural thing for them, which is why they like enclosed spaces :)
Thank you. So do you recommend taking the hammock out. I noticed a bad behavior with my son toy cubby so we have removed it. I will remove the hammock too. But he does seem to like to hide. But he is only 9 weeks I do not want bad behaviors.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you. So do you recommend taking the hammock out. I noticed a bad behavior with my son toy cubby so we have removed it. I will remove the hammock too. But he does seem to like to hide. But he is only 9 weeks I do not want bad behaviors.
I had my green cheek get her leg caught in a string from one of those huts. She was hanging upside down and unable to right herself. Luckily I was home and was able to free her; if I hadn't been, she could have lost her leg.

There's probably hundreds of people that use them without issues, but I also know there are dozens of people that have had their bird get hurt or killed by them. I'm not willing to take the risk again.

You could make a hidey area by using a perch and then hanging a toy over it :)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Skittles loves his new hammock.
I use these and this brand. As low fuzz. Have for a decade and rotate out any that get chewed on.

Huts get jumped on like crazy. And I don't dispute the danger of the really fuzzy ones. That when you pinch you can pull all this synthetic fuzz off. Those can get wrapped around tongue and impact crop.

But so can any cotton rope perch, yarn like preen toys, fabric. Those mop like preen toys are so dangerous The biggest culprit by far are the rope perches, as viewed in crop dissection study with extremely graphic photos. Yet I never read of warnings on those. Any rope perches that are chewed should be replaced. If you have a parrot that really likes to chew those then they shouldn't be used st all. Crop impactions silently( mostly,) build up over time until causing issues or death.

i have one parrot who can not have rope perches in her cage, she will pick them apart in a day. Outside of the cage she leaves them alone.
I'm also getting the safer tiki hut for her. As she destroys every other kind of tent I tried.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
There is a study on wild conure that show they use them year round for shelter unlike many other cavity nesting parrot's.