• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Putting a baby conure in big cage

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
Hi everyone. We just brought home an 8 week old fully weaned conure 3 days ago. The breeder sent us with a small travel cage and did keep him in there for atleast a week (taking him our throughout the day) we ordered a larger cage and are wondering should we wait the week or make the transition once we have the bigger cage setup. He has a long tail is climbing all over the small one. Feel like he wants more room, also concerned as the breeder said wait atkeast a week.
Thank you all for you answer!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@Wardy maybe able to answer

@Pixiebeak too

@Shannan was a baby conure I don’t know age she put them in a bigger cage

I had indie in a smaller cage when she’s was 10yrs ld old until about 16weeks just to make sure she knew where her food/water was to keep an eye on her droppings and quarantine her away from pico but they are lovebirds

olive my conure came in a smaller cage and was ruining her tail feathers so I understand where you are coming from but she was older 24weeks so I put her in bigger cage

how are they in smaller cage climb well perch well etc

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
It's fine to put them in the bigger cage. But keep all the perches , food and water on the lower 3rd of cage st first. Make it easy to move from one per h to another and get around. As you see climbing and perch abilities you can start raising everything to normal level.
Some are great,, real pros at moving and climbing right away. Some need to develop and practice skills a little longer. Observe and adjust to your guy.

Congratulations! Love pic

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Our baby conure went straight into a fairly large cage with no problems. Then we ended up getting an even bigger cage due to the original cage having too wide a space between the bars. Our conure had no problem adjusting. We did put all his amenities at one end. Food, water, favorite perch and toy. We did put several water cups throughout the cage but he really had no trouble finding the one next to his food dish. He tended to stay on that side for a while before gradually exploring more and more of the cage. Now he is all over the cage. (We have only had him since late January). I agree with @Pixiebeak with starting with the perches lower and then slowly moving them up as your conure gets used to the cage.

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
@Wardy maybe able to answer

@Pixiebeak too

@Shannan was a baby conure I don’t know age she put them in a bigger cage

I had indie in a smaller cage when she’s was 10yrs ld old until about 16weeks just to make sure she knew where her food/water was to keep an eye on her droppings and quarantine her away from pico but they are lovebirds

olive my conure came in a smaller cage and was ruining her tail feathers so I understand where you are coming from but she was older 24weeks so I put her in bigger cage

how are they in smaller cage climb well perch well etc

He is very active climbs to the top hangs of and climbs down. He is everywhere lol. He eats out of the dishes really well to.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We put our baby Quaker in a large flight right away :)

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
He is very active climbs to the top hangs of and climbs down. He is everywhere lol. He eats out of the dishes really well to.
Sounds like our conure. He is very active and into everything.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Pippen uses every inch of the large flight cage I lucked into. She has quite a few favorite spots and usually sleeps over her little heat thing with her head under a walnut shell that covers her head. She hangs there like a tiny vampire on the side of the cage.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I put my cockatiel right into his large cage when I got him at 10 weeks(ish) old - He used every inch of the space :roflmao:

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
He is very active. We made th switch and he went straight for his food dish and water lol. He is chirping away.
Happy Conure!!!!!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can go in a big cage now

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I got Zazu and Tobias as babies I kept them in a Kings medium travel cage for the first week while they got used to being with me and so I could more easily observe their behavior and climbing abilities. After a week it was clear to see they would be fine so I put them in their big cages with perches at every level and a big fluffy towel at the bottom in case they fell and it worked out well.

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
Being as he always climbs up to the top of his cage, would it be safe to add a perch up there or should we wait?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
What a gorgeous confident birdie! Yep looks like you can put perches all over! Make sure to use different perch types and sizes

Astrid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Astrid
What a gorgeous confident birdie! Yep looks like you can put perches all over! Make sure to use different perch types and sizes
Thank you! He seems to be a very quick learning. Learned step-up in the first full day we had him. He is so much fun already!
Off to the pet store for perches today!