• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Putting 2 pair love birds

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Looks some confusion about the lovebirds i have..
There is no confusion;
In my first cage i have a pair of peach face and Fischeri.
These are the birds we are talking about.
(Peach-faced is Roseicollis)
the problem with Fischeri and Roseicollis creating offspring is that the chicks will be confused as to whether they are Roseicollis or Fischeri.
The peach-faced lovebird will carry nesting material in it´s rump, but Fischeri do not. A hybrid RoseicollisxFischeri bird is confused as to do this or not. This will in turn cause a lot of stress for that young bird. Also, the chicks will be infertile.
In saying this, the two birds can live together, they look very happy with each other in your video. Just be sure to replace any eggs laid for dummys, or boil any eggs and replace once cooled down.

JohnPala

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
They ( Fischer) start putting stuff in the nest box last 3-4 days.. but i checked box yesterday but i don't see any egg.. Is it something they set the nest first then mate and lay the egg.. how this work from your experience. Any idea

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
How old are your birds?

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Your kids are way to young to be parents. Not good for them to lay this early, they are still babies themselves. 1.5 years is probably ideal for them to start breeding. 1 yr is probably the earliest but not recommended for first time parents/owners. If you are encouraging this behavior then I would definitely read up on taking care and raising chicks now rather than later. Not all pairs are good parents, especially first time parents. Be prepared to feed the chicks yourself if they aren't being cared for correctly.

Nesting creates hormonal behavior. Doesn't always lead to eggs but can cause unwanted behavior like increase agression.

JohnPala

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Your kids are way to young to be parents. Not good for them to lay this early, they are still babies themselves. 1.5 years is probably ideal for them to start breeding. 1 yr is probably the earliest but not recommended for first time parents/owners. If you are encouraging this behavior then I would definitely read up on taking care and raising chicks now rather than later. Not all pairs are good parents, especially first time parents. Be prepared to feed the chicks yourself if they aren't being cared for correctly.

Nesting creates hormonal behavior. Doesn't always lead to eggs but can cause unwanted behavior like increase agression.
What usually do this case.. separate them because they together from born that what i heard but at least sure from 6 months

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What usually do this case.. separate them because they together from born that what i heard but at least sure from 6 months
Well at least remove the nest!
It really bothers me when people come in and say they “don’t “ want to breed when clearly they DO or there wouldn’t be pairs and nest boxes and nesting materials.
And know nothing about it.

Reactions: tka

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
No. If they are happy together then let them stay together. Just be sure to boil any eggs laid and put them back where you found them.
You know, lovebirds like to sleep on a nice natural branch in the highest spot of the cage, they don´t need a nest box when not trying to breed.

Also worth finding out if the birds are siblings.

JohnPala

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
One general question.. In some of the blogs i read this not sure is this true.. Is the mating happening after building the Nest ? or Nesting is for either hormonal behavior or for laying eggs.. That blogs was saying the lovebirds make the nest first for mating..

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Lovebirds breed year round, even a single lovebird will try and make a nest. Without the proper care and nutrition this can be dangerous as it can lead to egg binding. Mating can happen at any time, a nest does not need to be present for them to get jiggy with it.

I have one roseicollis and she likes to gather nesting material and shred occasionally. I keep her nesting behavior to a minimal, she enjoys shredding but I don't allow her to do it very often. Maybe once every couple of weeks for like 5-10 mins total. I distract her after about 5 mins and she forgets about it and goes on about her day. She rather hang out with me then build a dumb nest :sneaky:.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Mating can happen at any time, a nest does not need to be present for them to get jiggy with it.
And mating doesn´t always mean eggs will be laid soon either.
My birds mate very frequently.

Reactions: Ali

JohnPala

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
I looked their nest today.. no egg.. They making nest since a week. SO i assume they just making for hormonal effect not seriously mate and don't yet adult. Are you guys seen this, lovebirds making nest just for simply or making soft and warn surface in the nesting box..

Reactions: Ali

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Welcome to the Avenue John! :starshower1:

Nope, never. Never ever ever.

Only house 1 single bird or 1 pair of bonded birds per cage.

The cage must be large when housing pairs, as mentioned above, lovebirds need a lot of space - even bonded birds!

If you want all four to live together, you need an aviary that is minimum the size of a large car and about 2 metres high.

The four birds may be able to share some flight time, but monitor closely. If you are unable to keep them safe from each other, you will have to fly them in pairs.
I DON'T AGREE-- I bred Lovebirds for years using a 4x pair to a cage.. granted they were all peach-face mutations, and cage was a decent size-- 30"D x 48"H & L... boxes were outside the cage, and I had lots of palm branches for nesting material. Had 3x cages set up like this, in fairly close proximity, and over my 10yrs or so raised and handfed about 500x babies... Yes, they were bonded before I put them together. NEVER had any squabbles or attacks! Years into it, many of the birds were also previously my hand-fed babies, and I could reach in to grab most of them without being nailed! Really don't know why my situation/ actions would have been so unique from yours, but had great success... thank you...Pat.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@Fiveboy Apparently you have had issues with aggression...

Im sorry but I find much of these dire warnings and over protections strange. I have two bonded pair that share a cage (the kind which allows a slide in separator) and they get along fine without separation - and for a long time! Each couple has its own nest box and produce abundant healthy offspring. The size cage Sureshpala owns could be a flock cage! After establishing their pecking order they all get along fine. That said - YES sometimes there will be ongoing bad aggression and those I separate. OBSERVE. If every mated couple needed their own large cage to survive there would be no such concept as a flock cage or even breeders. I am not a breeder just your normal addicted hobbyist. I live in a place without Vets for every littke thibg (or even big thibgs) In my experience (currently 17 birds and 13 pending eggs) - careful watching, great food, a clean environment and quiet rest - and the birds know better than we what to do! Im sure I will now get lots of tsk tsk flame response (I seem to attract it) - but thats my perspective and experience. My birds are very happy healthy and productive (as well as beautiful and loved). How would they ever even find mates if they were always separated and over protected?! Sureshpala just be smart and observe - and like any parent - intervene to avoid disaster (but some squabbling and hierarchical dominance is normal imo). They are birds. They know better than us what that means.
Would love to see more pictures of your beautiful Lovebird! ...Pat.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That is your experience. It is not like that for everyone. I´m glad your birds don´t fight and can share the same cage (which is double the size of OPs cage) - but because it doesn´t work out like that for everyone, it is something I would never ever recommend as I do not want to be responsible for the death of someone elses pet bird.
Have a read of the thread, Fiveboy said something similar to you and OP put his birds together off of that ¨advice¨ resulting in fighting, it could have easily ended up much more serious with injuries or even a death.
A friend of mine has numerous pairs in a large aviary, never had problems until recently one bird chased down and killed another.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
That is your experience. It is not like that for everyone. I´m glad your birds don´t fight and can share the same cage (which is double the size of OPs cage) - but because it doesn´t work out like that for everyone, it is something I would never ever recommend as I do not want to be responsible for the death of someone elses pet bird.
Have a read of the thread, Fiveboy said something similar to you and OP put his birds together off of that ¨advice¨ resulting in fighting, it could have easily ended up much more serious with injuries or even a death.
A friend of mine has numerous pairs in a large aviary, never had problems until recently one bird chased down and killed another.
Don't remember the size of OPs cage-- but my #s are in inches... 30 inches by 48 inches... Don't know why my birds would have been anymore laid back than others [but some WERE previously handfed before being turned into breeders]... And I would never put that many PET birds into a single cage for any length of time [unless they were at a sale]. Any longer than that, they would turn wild... UNLESS, you handle each one AT LEAST A FEW MINUTES every day for at least a month... Older lovebirds can still make good pets, if they've had a good beginning... thx for your comments...Pat.