• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

purrlyns sick (macaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great news! :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am glad he is feeling better.:) I have a question though. How did the vet diagnose the human flu virus? :confused:

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
I am glad he is feeling better, but I'm curious as well as to how he caught the human flu virus. I usually keep some distance between me and the birds when I'm sick, but just curious if we can spread to them.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I was always under the impression that we cannot pass our sickness to our birds! :confused:
i thought so too, but birds can get west nile... would love to know exactly what the vet said for informational purposes:highfive:

Magic

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
the vet told me that some parrots can catch a cold or flu from humans by some one sneezing or caughing and even by kissing them and they can catch it just by airborn as well she said the bigger parrots are more likely to catch it she said but it doesnt rule out some smaller parrots if there imune is weaken . this was told to me by 2 avian vets . purrlyns suffered from body aches and pains and a red streaked throat this made him pluck his feathers in frustration he was also sneezing and was starting to dehydrate and he had a small fever i caught this in time they said if it was left untreated it could kill him or if he lived thru it he would have health problems the rest of his life but becouse i caught it in time and got him in he was able to be treated to keep it from spreading into something more harmful to him . i was also told to start using pet focus to clean cages down

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
That's crazy. I thought non human primates were the only species to catch our colds and our diseases! Who knew birds were susceptible to human strains of viruses. Im happy he is ok! I would have been so worried!!:hug8:

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
Boy, I hope that is not true! I tend to get sick in the Winter, with colds, I asked my Vet specifically about this and he said it is possible but extremely, extremely rare! We all know birds can pass Psittacosis to humans but a human flu :huh::huh: Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think there is any Scientific proof of humans passing their colds to birds, and, who would kiss a bird while sick :huh: I am going to research this today while at the orthodontist this morning waiting on Rachie, if true, this changes the whole ball game over here :(

I am glad you caught Purrlyn's illness quick enough! It pays to pay close attention to our fids :) :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am going to double check on this...never heard of a bird catching the human flu. If this were true, birds would be sick with colds and flu every year.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am glad he is going to be ok but I really think those vets are wrong about him catching human flu or colds..that is just impossible and if it is, it would be a first and a very awful first....think of the implications! I would triple check on those results and even take him to a different , third vet

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree Anne!! I do hope he feels better soon.

Last edited:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Sherry so sorry that Purrlyn got sick, I hope he gets better soon!!!!

Sending healing energy his way.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im confused about the "flu" thing too, but Im glad hes feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.