• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

purrlyns sick (macaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sherry
i took purrlyn in to the vets and they ran a bunch of tests blood and poo samples and even did xrays they think he has a virus of some sort so we are on lock down here til tomorro when i get the tests back. they didnt find anything in his crop but he did have red streaks in his mouth behind the tounge and they gave him 2 shots and they said if he doesnt keep eating to bring him back in and he will be tube fed but so far he is eating and drinking fine ive also been giving him cran-apple and water mixed to help keep him from getting dehyrated and he is also getting vitamins and herb salad along with oatmill and other good stuff . also they told me to bring the bell back in again to recheck it again . the vet told me to watch all the others and so far everyone else is doing fine ive checked there mouths poo and weight and no one else is got any problems so any way please keep purrlyn in your thoughts and lets pray hard its not anything any of the others can get and sense his shots he stoped plucking and he now eats pellets witch he never would before til now eat them

copswife30

Real Name
Kathy
I hope Purrlyn gets well soon I will be keeping him my prayers :hug8::hug8:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Praying he gets better fast!:hug8:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sending up lots of prayers for Purrlyn.... I hope he is all better quick!

Magic

Real Name
Sherry
thank you everyone i will update on the tests tomorro when i find out whats going on .

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Prayers coming Purrlyn’s way! I hope he is better soon; and I hope the other birdies will be okay. :bluhug:

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
I hope she feels better soon, I'll include her in my prayers! :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Healing thoughts and prayers for Purrlyn and :hug8::hug8::hug8:for You:hug8:

topazldy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Linda
Your doing a great job taking care of him while you wait for his test results!! Praying he will be just fine!!:dancing:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many prayers and positive healing energies for Purrlyn!!:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
some prayers for purrlynn.........:hug8::hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking Purrlyns to the vet for help, hope Purrlyns starts improving very soon. Reading your post a I noted a couple of items you might want to ask your vet about unless he advised you: Using herb salad while on antibiotics? Specific vitamins for your bird? Cran-apple juice should be low sugar unless your bird is very weak, high sugar content may lead to a yeast infection. Ask about giving a probiotic while your bird is on antibiotics and after? Double check all dosages of medications you give your bird.

Please keep Purrlyns extra warm while he is sick, (85), degrees is optimum. It will also help of you can adjust the humidity in his locations to 50% to help keep from de-hydrating quickly. Please keep us updated.

Magic

Real Name
Sherry
i was told by the vet it was safe to give him herbs and vitamins while on his meds and the cran apple was mixed with half water .

well purrlyn has a human flu virus thank god it wasnt worse and ive caught this in time he is eating and playing today like nothing ever happen hes also been dancing and doing his normal macaw antics the vets told me to keep an eye on him and keep him warm and give him plenty of fluids everything else came back clean on his tests so she wants to see him back in 2 weeks for a check up or sooner if he is still sick or not eating

thank you everyone for the replys

Status
Not open for further replies.