• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Puppy grabs amazon - should I be concerned?

AmyPKH

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Hare
Our 10 month old German Shepherd ran over to our Blue Front Amazon who was unexpectedly on the floor. His wings are clipped. The dog was on the leash and my husband pulled him back. It was after a big windstorm and at night. I was not downstairs, but he said that our dog, who is always around our bird on his cage, just playfully cuffed our bird. Kwaxi (our bird) kept walking and climbed up on the cage. He seems ok, but dropped FIVE full feathers and some small ones during the incident. He seems fine, but I am wondering if I should do something as a follow up in particular. I am very worried by the contact. All advice welcome. We are working with a trainer with our dog and will certainly address the incident with him. But right now I am worried about Kwaxi's health. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Just keep them away for each other, you cant train a dog out of thousands of years of hunting instinct. Get to the vet asap. That my 2 cents

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Are there any bite marks or scratches? If not you just dodged a bullet, if there is a puncture, or a break in the skin you should see a vet.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm sorry this happened and I think a vet visit is in order to make sure all is okay.
I would recommend keeping them separate at all times, as well. A separate bird room works well to achieve this.

It's much safer to never risk an accident. One playful nip on the dog's part, even if he's well trained, can cause a serious injury or worse for your 'zon. Especially with a puppy, the risk is higher.
I have a bullmastiff myself, and while she is wonderful with every animal she's ever met, I couldn't live with myself if something were to happen to any of my birds. So none of my dogs/cats ever are in the room while my birds are out.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If nothing else this may serve as a warning as to what could happen and when pup is grown up I hate to think of the results. A once over at the vet is a good idea. Injuries can sometimes be hard to see. I hope birdie is ok.

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
If there is no bite or scratch, there really won't be much the vet can do, other than check the bird over, if seeing the vet would make make you feel better then by all means go.Sometimes the vet can catch things we miss.

But if there is a mark, its important to see the vet,

AmyPKH

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Hare
Thank you so much for your replies. It's kind of what I was thinking. So it's good to know I was on track. Does anyone know a lot about feathers? Three of the feathers he lost are complete with points and fine. but two of them are green and black and they almost, but do not totally have points. Also, they have just a bit of red coloring. I checked him for any blood and there was none. As we all know, that can be so dangerous. But I am wondering if they broke off and if that is dangerous. Thank you again for advice.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I would recommend the vet to be on the safe side. Can you post pictures of the feathers?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
those are blood feathers and you need to check and may sure that there is no injury to that area. they will drop feathers when they are afraid/ scared. my best advice is if the bird is out the dog is kenneled or locked in another room for the bird's safety.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Sounds like a vet visit is in order just to be safe ..best of luck :)

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Vet run for sure. He may want to prescribe antibiotics if he finds a puncture wound anywhere. Saliva is no Bueno.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think going to a vet is a good idea too. Just because there are no visible wounds does' t mean there isn't internal damage. How is your bird now? Definitely keep a close eye him for the next few days. Best of luck with it. I hope things work out ok and your bird is ok