• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pump/filter help please.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can anyone tell me if this filter will be ok to use for my 1300lt pond- I really don’t know what I should be looking for or avoiding so any help would be appreciated:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wish I knew! But here's a bump :)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
How many gallons is your pond? And can you switch the Liters to gallons please

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The turnover would suit a pond around 3000 litres no info on the wattage of the uv or what the biological filteration is comprised of so hard to judge if it would be suitable Shez.
If you have anymore info on the above be able to better advise.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The turnover would suit a pond around 3000 litres no info on the wattage of the uv or what the biological filteration is comprised of so hard to judge if it would be suitable Shez.
If you have anymore info on the above be able to better advise.
I don’t have any more information. I don’t really know where to look or what to look for tbh. There are pumps available at so many different places and omg there’s soooo many different ones. I really don’t know what I’d be best looking for as the uv and other fancy filter terms mean nothing to me - I just know the water is best to not sit still and a filter of some kind is needed to remove lumps and chunks lol

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t have any more information. I don’t really know where to look or what to look for tbh. There are pumps available at so many different places and omg there’s soooo many different ones. I really don’t know what I’d be best looking for as the uv and other fancy filter terms mean nothing to me - I just know the water is best to not sit still and a filter of some kind is needed to remove lumps and chunks lol
Have you got a pic of your pond ?
I am guessing it doesnt have a drain at the bottom.
Does it have a waterfall ?
Is it planted ?
What fish do you have in it ?

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I bought a concrete stock trough to use for the fish when I move. image.jpg No drain, no waterfall, nothing in it at all yet. Once it’s ready I’ll put a few plants in (not a lot) and my 9-10 goldfish.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I bought a concrete stock trough to use for the fish when I move. View attachment 403550 No drain, no waterfall, nothing in it at all yet. Once it’s ready I’ll put a few plants in (not a lot) and my 9-10 goldfish.
I would just put a pump in to pump water up to a plastic bin or something similar full of something such as bio balls with drains out the bottom of the bin back into the pond.
Would be much cheaper and much simpler i can sketch something up to show what i mean tommorow if you want.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would just put a pump in to pump water up to a plastic bin or something similar full of something such as bio balls with drains out the bottom of the bin back into the pond.
Would be much cheaper and much simpler i can sketch something up to show what i mean tommorow if you want.
Umm, I really can not picture what you mean so a sketch or pic of some type would be awesome. Thank you :)

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Umm, I really can not picture what you mean so a sketch or pic of some type would be awesome. Thank you :)
Really simple

20220225_233624.jpg

You have a pump that pumps water from your pond into a container ( filter )
You fill the container with a filter media such as bio balls or siporax ( this will allow bacteria to grow to to remove nitrites and nitrates ) i would put filter floss over the media to remove solids.

You then have some drains at the bottom of the container to return to the pond.

Thats a rough sketch to give you tbe idea of what would work.

If you have bought what you posted it has a 4 inch outlet so you would need a pump in the pond to facilitate that.
I wouldnt be concerned about the inlet i would just have pipes from the filter running back into the pond above the surface to create aggitation and improve oxygen exchange..

Very rough sketch but the concept is sound.
Ideally your filter needs to be above your pond so the returning water is gravity fed.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Really simple

View attachment 403560

You have a pump that pumps water from your pond into a container ( filter )
You fill the container with a filter media such as bio balls or siporax ( this will allow bacteria to grow to to remove nitrites and nitrates ) i would put filter floss over the media to remove solids.

You then have some drains at the bottom of the container to return to the pond.

Thats a rough sketch to give you tbe idea of what would work.

If you have bought what you posted it has a 4 inch outlet so you would need a pump in the pond to facilitate that.
I wouldnt be concerned about the inlet i would just have pipes from the filter running back into the pond above the surface to create aggitation and improve oxygen exchange..

Very rough sketch but the concept is sound.
Ideally your filter needs to be above your pond so the returning water is gravity fed.
I will check about the outlet- There are a few different types of trough that look pretty much the same- some with a inlet/outlet and some without, some with a huge connected extra section for a pump to keep the trough filled etc, mine was meant to be without anything (basically a huge concrete bowl) but I wont know for sure till I go look at what they got in for me and organize for them to bring it round to the house.. there was some confusion with all my orders from there for some reason.... I still have not even been invoiced for a huge water tank and pump which has been at my house for a while now.
I am not sure I want to have some make shift thing sitting above the pond to filter it though - I have to do that sort of thing now and it really is ugly, also makes it a pain when I need to get into the actual pond to remove plants etc because I have to move all the extra filter stuff I have sitting above the water and then lift the wire to get in to the actual pond. I am wanting to keep it as clear as possible so it does not look like my high school science experiment lol.
I kind of figured I have to spend approx $200-$300 for a reasonable filter but I am not really sure.

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
That set up would be good for that size pond.Here is info on that pump.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That set up would be good for that size pond.Here is info on that pump.

There is no info on the pum there is no info on the uv or the filteration its only the lph turnonver

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
ModelMax Pond Size -No FishMax Pond Size – With FishUV WattageMax Pump HeightDimensions W x L x H
Inpond 20002000L (440G)1334L (293G)5 Watt1.25m35 x 28 x 20cm
Inpond 30003000L (660G)2000L (440G)5 Watt1.25m41 x 38 x 20cm
Inpond 60006000L (1320G)4000L (880G)9 Watt1.3m41 x 38 x 20cm
Inpond 90009000L (1980G)6000L (1320G)9 Watt2m42 x 38 x 21cm

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
ModelMax Pond Size -No FishMax Pond Size – With FishUV WattageMax Pump HeightDimensions W x L x H
Inpond 20002000L (440G)1334L (293G)5 Watt1.25m35 x 28 x 20cm
Inpond 30003000L (660G)2000L (440G)5 Watt1.25m41 x 38 x 20cm
Inpond 60006000L (1320G)4000L (880G)9 Watt1.3m41 x 38 x 20cm
Inpond 90009000L (1980G)6000L (1320G)9 Watt2m42 x 38 x 2
The 1cm
5 watt uv is useless i was runnimg 85 watt on s fish tank.
2 meter head height could be ok depending on where the water was getting pumped to.
No info on the filteration claims so that suggest they believe water turnover and water aggitation filters the water.

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Here's their video on cleaning the filter setup.

Based on what I see here, it's a decent little setup - emphasis on little. If your pond is 1300L, and it turns over 1500L per hour, it is minimum size for your tank. Bigger is better. And the more fish you have, the more you need to turn over the water.

I would consider this as a starter filter setup, with an eye to going bigger eventually.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Here's their video on cleaning the filter setup.

Based on what I see here, it's a decent little setup - emphasis on little. If your pond is 1300L, and it turns over 1500L per hour, it is minimum size for your tank. Bigger is better. And the more fish you have, the more you need to turn over the water.

I would consider this as a starter filter setup, with an eye to going bigger eventually.
Thank you!!
I'll watch the video and see how easy or difficult it is to clean (hopefully not as painful and useless as the one I am working with now) and I will also check into the same brand filters and see if they have one that has a higher turn over.
I have about 11 goldfish, they are all now getting to be a decent size, the largest ones body (without its tail) would be approx 13-15cm long and the rest are catching up in size pretty fast but are not yet as big- I am guessing with more room to occupy they may well boom in size, which I guess would need more filtration than 11 baby fish- I am mentioning the current size incase they do need more filtration for larger fish. I am not sure if the Coolie loaches are still in there or if a bird got them so if they are in there then I have two or three extra fish to what I said I had.