• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pulmonary Fibrosis

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I found several sites that warn against ozone around birds.I'd sure question the Dr. closely about the ozone.

"Using an air purifier reduces indoor air pollution and makes the air safer for your birds to breathe. To further protect your birds’ delicate lungs, make sure to stay away from high ozone emitting air purifiers. It is best to use an air purifier that has ozone free settings, or ozone levels that are well below the maximum for human safety."
Is An Air Purifier Safe for Birds?

What is he planning on using for a nebulization medication?

There are a number of veterinarians in the US that are luminaries. I know none outside of the states.
Dr. Brian Speers
925-625-1878

Dr. Susan Orosz
419-843-4347

Dr. Scott Echols
801-298-2014

Dr. Susan Clubb
560-795-4878

Look here to find outstanding veterinarians - one in London.

Supernova

Meeting neighbors
I found several sites that warn against ozone around birds.I'd sure question the Dr. closely about the ozone.

"Using an air purifier reduces indoor air pollution and makes the air safer for your birds to breathe. To further protect your birds’ delicate lungs, make sure to stay away from high ozone emitting air purifiers. It is best to use an air purifier that has ozone free settings, or ozone levels that are well below the maximum for human safety."
Is An Air Purifier Safe for Birds?

What is he planning on using for a nebulization medication?

There are a number of veterinarians in the US that are luminaries. I know none outside of the states.
Dr. Brian Speers
925-625-1878

Dr. Susan Orosz
419-843-4347

Dr. Scott Echols
801-298-2014

Dr. Susan Clubb
560-795-4878

Look here to find outstanding veterinarians - one in London.
Thanks a lot.I have spoken with the vet today, he told me not to worry because fibrosis doesn’t change the lifespan of the birds.He told me he’s been following a lot of birds with this disease and although it’s chronic can be kept under control.He’s preparing me a protocol of medications to follow.I’ll update.For the ozone Fran Pet is formulated specifically for bird as far as I read.I’ll ask on Monday to the vet.
@Hankmacaw thanks again for the time you dedicated me until now.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Not a problem. My hank - picture to the left, who was the love of my life, died from cancer, but for most of his life he had chronic diseases (including lung issues) - Helping other birds is the least I can do for his memory.

Supernova

Meeting neighbors
@Hankmacaw hi, i’m so desperate.Sorry I just want to share my sadness with anyone here because for me it’s difficult.I’ve always imagined to live a lot of years more with my baby and instead I guess I must accept he could fly away in the next years.After the 23 days’ therapy with F10 nebulized,Arnic and echinacea nebulized, an antibiotic for the upper respiratory system (Zithromax), an anti fungi homeopathic product we repeated bloodwork and was almost normal.we suspended everything but the arnica and echinacea nebulization for inflammation.After 15 days we repeated again bloodwork but I found it a little worst than before, although vet said was good.In all this period I have to say that Ira ate just a little without my intervention, he is not able to maintain his weight during the day( for example if in the morning he was 94 gr then in the evening was 93 gr and the day after he will be 91 in the morning because he always loses 3 gr during the night).i’ve always said that to my vet and he still continues to tell me if his weight is 94 and the bloodwork is ok there’s no problem!!!So I helped him to maintain the weight, I put under the beak the food and he eats it.Anyway we’ve always reached 94 gr in the morning but with my help.Yesterday night I was weighting him and while he is trying to fly away from my hand and I continued hold him I heard a sort of click and a scratching breath, a sort of dyspnea while he’s trying to break free.Then I tried to catch him again but still heard that loud sound..I have an appointment for the day after tomorrow with my vet; I feared that can be a pneumonia or another infection or worst Asper.....I was so happy that we managed to cure the infection I was just thinking to limit this fibrosis.I also wrote to Dr Speer that replied me yesterday they use colchicine twice a day in some fibrosis case.It is a cortisone but I already know my vet doesn’t want to use cortisone.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
In some but then it would depend on the case to case, so may be a reason your vet dont want to, it could be your case dont fill the criteria for when its smart to do so and benefits outweigh backsides.

Cortisone is a last resort when nothing else works normally with pets and humans alike. If you can controll disease without then that gets tried first, since cortisone surpress the imunesystem and leaves you open for more easily contracting other problems.

Supernova

Meeting neighbors
In some but then it would depend on the case to case, so may be a reason your vet dont want to, it could be your case dont fill the criteria for when its smart to do so and benefits outweigh backsides.

Cortisone is a last resort when nothing else works normally with pets and humans alike. If you can controll disease without then that gets tried first, since cortisone surpress the imunesystem and leaves you open for more easily contracting other problems.
Thank you for your reply.Let’s see how it will go on.I notice that this morning he doesn’t have appetite, but it’s active.He ate just few pellets strange to me that he didn’t eat nothing of his favourite food(seeds).In my opinion he has got again an infection probably in the upper respiratory system.

Supernova

Meeting neighbors
@Pyropus
Do you know some people that have parrots with this pulmonary fibrosis? I’m so sad.I cannot explain to me why he could have developed this type of disease.He has never cured for pneumonia or something similar, no strange smell in the house.Three years ago I did a bloodwork and everything was ok.Nothing in particular changed in these years...I’ m seriuosly beginning to think that maybe could have taken the corona virus in a modified form.He began to show syntoms at the very beginning of February.A sort of aggressive pneumonia with granuloma.Usually this is taken from Aspergillus but they did’t find it with endoscopy.So it’s a supposition

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Supernova - Yes, cortisone is not recommended for birds as it does have a tendency to suppress the immune system and leave them at risk for infections. One must do a risk assessment before giving cortisone.

Because your bird has lung issues (fibrosis ) he is likely to acquire opportunistic infections and they must be watched for carefully. Cortisone should not be given while they have an infection.

Like I said before, my Hank had fibrosis in his lungs, but he had so many other serious issues (aspergillosis and atherosclerosis and numerous opportunistic infections and permanent damage to his liver......) that the fibrosis did not get a lot of attention. Yet he lived for a number of years after the fibrosis was diagnosed and ultimately died of cancer ( carcinoid thyroid tumor).

Keep feeding him by hand daily - as long as it takes. They must have the fuel to fight the diseases.

Dr. Speer is a great vet and a wonderful person - I have never known anyone who has asked him about their bird who has not received a prompt answer.

Please, please try not to get so upset and concentrate on your baby. Enjoy every minute you have with him. We never know how long we will have with those we love the most.

Supernova

Meeting neighbors
@Hankmacaw I’ll do my best.Hank lived for 15 years fighting Asper, did he?And you found out fibrosis in his last 4 years of life right?But it could be possibile that he had it already for ages maybe?sorry for this question but I’m trying to convince myself that I can bring him to ten years more with this disease and i’ m looking for hope somewhere, in some replies... I want to stay with him as long as possible ❤ Anyway I read that there is a connection between thyroid and fibrosis...this is why I wanted to try hormone therapy.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hank lived for 15 years after I got him ( he was well on his way to death when I got him). He was 200gm underweight and had heavy metal toxicity and chronic aspergillosis the day I got him. I don't remember exactly when my vet noticed the fibrosis, but it was during one of the several endoscopies/biopsie/histology early on when the pathologist discovered that he had fibrosis. He lived many years after diagnosis of the fibrosis. He got O2 twice a day for an hour every day for at least the last ten years of his life. Jasper also had heart/circulatory/respiratory diseases and she still gets two hours of O2/day and 9 medications/supplements in the morning and 6 medications in the evenings. It's been like this for twenty one years with my two sickies - but I don't regret one minute.

None of my experiences may apply to you - except one DON'T GIVE UP AND DON'T GIVE IN TO PANIC AND SELF PITY.

Supernova

Meeting neighbors
Hank lived for 15 years after I got him ( he was well on his way to death when I got him). He was 200gm underweight and had heavy metal toxicity and chronic aspergillosis the day I got him. I don't remember exactly when my vet noticed the fibrosis, but it was during one of the several endoscopies/biopsie/histology early on when the pathologist discovered that he had fibrosis. He lived many years after diagnosis of the fibrosis. He got O2 twice a day for an hour every day for at least the last ten years of his life. Jasper also had heart/circulatory/respiratory diseases and she still gets two hours of O2/day and 9 medications/supplements in the morning and 6 medications in the evenings. It's been like this for twenty one years with my two sickies - but I don't regret one minute.

None of my experiences may apply to you - except one DON'T GIVE UP AND DON'T GIVE IN TO PANIC AND SELF PITY.
Thank you so much I’m living a terrible period here between his disease and the coronavirus outside.I keep on fighting anyway.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The corona virus will pass and be a memory. Stay awy from it. Just focus on your baby.