• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pulling out hairs

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Spearmint recently developed a new liking for ripping out my hair, any hair he gets to. Head hair, facial hair, eyelashes, eyebrows, little hairs on my arms, he rips it out. Not in an angry way, just preening them and then he pulls them out.
He'll go through little 'phases' of these things, it used to be chewing my ear, then trying to get into my mouth via prying it open, and now this. Usually it's not an issue but this one really hurts. I try move away from him, but he'll fly to me and continue. All the while he's beak grinding and overall happy. :lol:
Any tips?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That sounds annoying but funny for an outsider! It is hard to teach a flighted bird something is not okay, they are back as soon as you put them down. You can try distracting him or quickly leaving the room but it sounds like a though habit to break. my lovebird had some issues like that and it eventually worked for him.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Oh no ouch

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
That sounds annoying but funny for an outsider! It is hard to teach a flighted bird something is not okay, they are back as soon as you put them down. You can try distracting him or quickly leaving the room but it sounds like a though habit to break. my lovebird had some issues like that and it eventually worked for him.
I'll give it a few days and see how it goes, it might pass as quick as his other habits. Currently combatting the issue with a scarf and long sleeved shirts :roflmao: