• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pulling Neck Feathers Out

BirdyLove

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Milly
Georgie my Cockatiel has never done this before but recently like a month and or a half ago he started pulling out his neck feathers!! We think he might be bored but then it is confusing because every day when I arrive home from school he tweets so loud to greet me and so I take him in my room and he sits there with me and does my homework with me; as a matter of fact, he does everything with me!!! He is very loyal but he doesn't have any bird friends because my parents wont let me get one because they think if I get another then Georgie wont pay anymore attention to me only to the new bird? I always clean the cage every Sunday, I vary the food for him so I don't know???

Please help me!!! :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Has he been to the vet to rule out any medical reason? When you say neck, is it the front (like in front of the crop) or elsewhere? If he is targeting the crop area he may have an infection or something.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think to be safe you should have a vet check to rule out any medical issues.

BirdyLove

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Milly
Has he been to the vet to rule out any medical reason? When you say neck, is it the front (like in front of the crop) or elsewhere? If he is targeting the crop area he may have an infection or something.
Underneath the beak and recently more further down!! :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Try not to be upset. If it's a medical issue it's better to catch it now. And if it's not medical then you know it's behavioral and you can go from there. Cockatiels, however, usually don't pluck for behavioral issues. It can happen but it's not as common as with some of the larger birds like cockatoos, etc. Keep us posted.

:hug8: