• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pulling feathers out of head

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Maccha, a gold capped conure, has begun picking the feathers off his head around the beginning of March. We’ve taken him to the vet and he was deemed healthy and maybe just plucking because of all the pin feathers coming in and he's just got it in his head to do it. I’m wondering if you guys have some advice on things we could do to encourage him to stop plucking. We’ve had him for a little over three years and never once has he touched his head.
I was thinking of maybe getting him a cone but am unsure about what size to get.
Since last night he's pulled out more feathers. I don't know what to do. I love him and it's killing me not knowing how to help him and that he feels the need to do this. I'm wondering if maybe he'd like a friend but would want to try other options like the CBD oil (I was recommended by a local bird group), I know our vet said we could give him prozac but I'm a little hesitant about it.
I'm fine with him being bald but just want to help him.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew