• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Puffin's progress

elena_2004

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
So it's been 2 weeks since we met Puffin and brought her home. I figured I should start another thread so I can post updates about her since it's already official -we are crazy- and the original thread is long enough. ;)

We've had a few tiny baby steps since our last update, but they feel huge to us. :) Last week hubby stopped in Puffin's room to say goodbye to her on his way to work. He gave her the usual scritches but this time she ducked down playfully and moved her body side-to-side quickly like Luv Bug does when she's being sassy.

Here's a pic of Luv Bug's sassy dance for reference:

He went back to her and she stretched up as high as she could and gave him a kiss! :swoon: I didn't know she even gave kisses!

Puffin has been allowing both of us to give her scritches (I have to ask first, hubby gets full privileges) but in the past few days, I've noticed that she is becoming more relaxed with me and has stopped giving me warning bites. :dance5: Maybe it's because I sit with her in the evenings while she's settling down and I sing to her as I'm covering her cage after she goes up to her sleep perch?
View attachment 286802

We did make the decision to wheel her cage into the hallway so she can see us during the day while we're home and that has helped her relax immensely. I figure her room has the same airflow as the rest of our apartment, and she's at the farthest point from any of the birds so there's not such a big difference from her room. We still change her food, water & cage separately after everyone else's is done and wash up after we interact with her the same as we did before.

I think being able to see us has helped with her screaming, partly because she doesn't like to be left alone and also now she can see that when she screams we don't react. Before I think she screamed so long in the hopes that we might be coming, but now when she can see that she isn't getting a reaction she stops after only a few quick tries. :)

Puffin can't see the green cheeks from the hallway, but she can see Buzzard and she looks at him a lot. I can't tell if she is trying to figure out what to make of him or if he makes her miss her big M2 buddy. I know Buzz has seen her when we have her cage there, but he doesn't seem to care and just does his own thing. He just gets excited when we move her cage because her bell rings. :rolleyes: An added benefit to Puffin being where she can see into the living room is that Luv Bug can also see Puffin. And Luv Bug is quite curious; at first she just watched Puffin as Puffin was taking everything in. And the next couple of days they mirrored each other -one dances, the other dances; one crest goes up or down, the other follows. Their mirroring has already subsided, but we're taking this as a good sign that they're getting used to seeing one another and hope this might help when it comes time for them to actually meet. :fingerscrossed:

I think I've mentioned that while she stepped up readily in her old home she hasn't wanted to step up at all since she has been here and even threatened to bite at first. This morning when I went in her room to uncover her she climbed out of her cage and came across the top and lifted her foot towards me. :shocked2: I offered her my finger and she stepped right up! :loveshower: I didn't move my hand, but just praised her and did head bobs with her. I can't wait til she does it again because it was such an awesome feeling! :heart:
Unrelated, but my parrotlet is called Puffin!!!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Have you been letting her read about Elvis? Because that's what Elvis does. LOL. She's a cutie. We need to see more of her. :)
That isn't what Elvis does, is it? I thought Puffin was only inspecting the cabinet & Elvis chews on his. :roflmao: Or areyou warning me of what to expect?? :nervous:

Unrelated, but my parrotlet is called Puffin!!!!
I think that's totally related! :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That isn't what Elvis does, is it? I thought Puffin was only inspecting the cabinet & Elvis chews on his. :roflmao: Or areyou warning me of what to expect?? :nervous:

I think that's totally related! :heart:
Elvis mainly chews on the top of the cabinets or tries too but he loves looking in the cabinets - and throwing things out. So that is a warning. LOL. He now has his own cabinet but when he thinks I'm not giving him enough attention, he will still go over to the cabinet with the spices and throw them out. I had Herb de Provence all over my floor just yesterday. :rolleyes:

elvis cupboard2.jpg

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Elvis mainly chews on the top of the cabinets or tries too but he loves looking in the cabinets - and throwing things out. So that is a warning. LOL. He now has his own cabinet but when he thinks I'm not giving him enough attention, he will still go over to the cabinet with the spices and throw them out. I had Herb de Provence all over my floor just yesterday. :rolleyes:

View attachment 374159
Thank you for the warning! I can easily see how we could go from test-nibbling a few lids to 52 Card Pickup - Tupperware style! :batonthehead:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I keep going back to look at Elvis' picture. He's so cute! He and Luv Bug would be quite a pair! :rnfrt: So much sass between the two!

It's nice of you to install a perch along the tops of your cabinets for him. ;) Very thoughtful! :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I keep going back to look at Elvis' picture. He's so cute! He and Luv Bug would be quite a pair! :rnfrt: So much sass between the two!

It's nice of you to install a perch along the tops of your cabinets for him. ;) Very thoughtful! :D
They would be cute together! I have often wondered what Elvis would do if he was with another goffin but have been afraid to try that introduction. LOL.

It is a nice perch, right? LOL. The funny thing is I have disliked the decor of our kitchen from the day we bought the house. I kept saying that we were going to remodel but it kept getting put off. Partially because the things in the kitchen - except for appliances - were pretty new- just so not my style. Anyway, that rail thing was going to be one of the first things to go. Well, both Elvis and Scooter love it. Little Scooter loves to hang out on rail part by the window- even thought he can't really see out from there, I think he likes the light and sun. And Elvis walks along it. So, anyway, when we do finally remodel I think I have to keep the rail/perch. :rolleyes:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I didn't even think about sweet little Scooter enjoying the rail. You're right, you have to keep it now! :xflove:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She may not be conducive to doing laundry, but this girl is so sweet and her company makes chores much more fun. :swoon:

20210324_081907.jpg
Clean laundry on the dresser, dirty overflowing the basket. :laundry: It's gonna be a long day. Just waiting for her to finish preening so I can continue. :rolleyes:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's beautiful. :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ah laundry. Who needs it?

Secret is far from a luv bug.....sigh

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Ah laundry. Who needs it?
Secret is far from a luv bug.....sigh
This one is Puffin. (I didn't realize I'd omitted her name.) Luv Bug "helps" by trying to chew zippers, buttons and bra straps. :cautious: Thankfully that one was still eating and anting her breakfast instead of "supervising" me! :whw:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This one is Puffin. (I didn't realize I'd omitted her name.) Luv Bug "helps" by trying to chew zippers, buttons and bra straps. :cautious: Thankfully that one was still eating and anting her breakfast instead of "supervising" me! :whw:
My bad. I didn't look at name of your thread. I just always think of luv bug when I see your name.

I mean, really. What a fabulous name name for a parrot (other than Secret that is).

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I mean, really. What a fabulous name name for a parrot (other than Secret that is).
o_O Maybe for any other parrot! Luv Bug is usually "Stinky Geeta", "Smelly Belly" or "the White Witch" to me because of her sassiness (no actual odor), though hubby thinks she's as innocent as can be! angel2.gif :meh:

My bad. I didn't look at name of your thread. I just always think of luv bug when I see your name.
Also Puffin looks almost fully feathered in this pic. An easy mistake. :)

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
o_O Maybe for any other parrot! Luv Bug is usually "Stinky Geeta", "Smelly Belly" or "the White Witch" to me because of her sassiness (no actual odor), though hubby thinks she's as innocent as can be! View attachment 377078 :meh:

Why, she's somehow lost her feathers? She's sooooo cute!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She’s such a cutie!!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She’s so adorable!! :xflove:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
o_O Maybe for any other parrot! Luv Bug is usually "Stinky Geeta", "Smelly Belly" or "the White Witch" to me because of her sassiness (no actual odor), though hubby thinks she's as innocent as can be! View attachment 377078 :meh:

That's so funny. I call Elvis "Smelly" all the time too. And not because he smells. And when he's being really sassy I ask if he's being a "stink bug" which then also get him called Stinky. I have not idea why really, it just kind of happened. And then I also call him my Tasmanian Devil.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Why, she's somehow lost her feathers?
Her previous owner kept her with a Moluccan who was often very rough with her and they fought sometimes. He was easily 3 or 4 times her size. :( That's why his family was rehoming her. She has no feathers on her back or legs, though a few on her "shoulders" have grown in.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's so funny. I call Elvis "Smelly" all the time too. And not because he smells. And when he's being really sassy I ask if he's being a "stink bug" which then also get him called Stinky. I have not idea why really, it just kind of happened. And then I also call him my Tasmanian Devil.
I have to tell hubby this! He pretends Bug is an angel, but he knows she can be an absolute terror so he'll get a kick out of the similarity! :laughin:

When we call her stinky or smelly we usually say it in a playful voice while bobbing our heads so she gets even more full of herself and extra crest-y. :xflove: Guess we're all gluttons for punishment.

Last edited:

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her previous owner kept her with a Moluccan who was often very rough with her and they fought sometimes. He was easily 3 or 4 times her size. :( That's why his family was rehoming her. She has no feathers on her back or legs, though a few on her "shoulders" have grown in.
Ohho! Hope you get well soon, puffin