• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Puffin's progress

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It's always a possibility they won't get along. I'm still hopeful since they do seem interested from across the room so far. :fingerscrossed:But I know there's a big difference between interested and friends.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have missed all the updates you gave so far, so I was so glad to hear about how she is settling in. The stepping up is great, and I hope she continues, that's awesome! Kissing - wow!!! She's such a cutie. :heart:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It's always a possibility they won't get along. I'm still hopeful since they do seem interested from across the room so far.
You can not teach them to be freinds but you can teach them to tolerate each other.
I will post tonight with my advices.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@Eloy Akela and Eliy are friends, though, right? Were they always?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Were they always?
No they tried to kill each other in the beginning. And with that I mean kill not fight.

So my advice.
Don't put them together and see what happened.
Think and find something they both like. Something that don't make them to exited, and will make them feel that they are two that thinks and like the same.
I often use food or trick training. But that didn't help with Akela and Eliy. I tried to put them together so many times and after every failure I said to myself, I will never do that again.
So one day, on a bath day, I was bathing Akela in the bathroom, and I hear Eliy in her cage wanted to join us. I did think about it, and fast realized that this was it, why haven't I done this before..
So I added Eliy to the bathroom, and when I saw that they wanted to fight I just sprayed them, and as they both loves to bath they soon forget all about fighting and they both wanted a bath until they where soaking wet. Best part was that they did look at each other in a different way after that.
The next time it was bath day I did the same but this time I let them stay out together for 30 minutes and it went well.
So after several months I found a way that I could introduce them to each other.
And now after two years they are really good friends. But it did take long, and I have to separate them several times, and I still must. But now they are not trying to kill each other longer.
Now, they know that they both are birds, they only have each other when I'm not at home, (but they will never share a cage) and they/we do several things together (like eating, bathing, training e.t.c)

The most important thing when you should put them together is to not make them jealous. Love Bug come first, she should have 80% of all attention, if you give her that she soon realized that the new bird isn't a threat. (and you should do the same with Buzz)
If the bond between your husband and Love Bug is strong it is better that you introduce them to each other. And he can do the same with Buzz and Puffin.
Perhaps take them for a short outside walk together, or another thing that will make them have something to think of at same time.

And how I learned mine to accept each other was easy. The one that was mean didn't get any attention at all. And I was very distinct in what I liked or not.
So the first time Eliy was preening Akela I acted that she has climbed Mount Everest. And when Eliy bite Akela I just gave Akela all the love.
This is not a advice I giving you, I just told you what I did.
My problem was that Eliy did like Akela from the beginning, but Akela sees her as an intruder. But after Akela accepted Eliy she wanted to be friend with her so badly, but then Eliy didn't like Akela longer. And Eliy grow up to be a powerful fighter, and Akela lost the thrown. So without me helping/guiding them they have never been friends.

So of course yours will have a better scenario then mine, but if not, you know that their is always hope. That are my birds a living proof of.
Good luck! I know that they will be friends, sooner or later. :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@faislaq how are they getting along now? :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
They're still not friends, but not mortal enemies. Puffin will still chase Luv Bug off of where she's sitting, maybe 3 or 4 times a day (usually through the kitchen) but the rest of the time they can be a foot apart and neither minds a bit. They often nap near one another & it's so cute to see. :xflove:
20200402_083302.jpg
They clearly enjoy each other's company, though from a respectful distance. In fact, they sleep next to each other in their separate night cages. The cages do have to be about 2 inches away from each other so Puffin doesn't pull Bug's feathers, but that only happened once. Their cages are covered with one big blanket so they can see one another, otherwise they will call until the other one is put in her cage.

Puffin likes to know Luv Bug is nearby. At first I thought she was flock calling to me or my husband when we left the room, but turns out it's because Bug is on us when we left the room or flew to follow us. It's like they require each other's presence to function, just not too closely. :rolleyes: They even eat together peacefully outside of their cages as long as they're across the bowl or plate they're sharing.

Luv Bug desperately wants to be closer to Puffin. While I'm getting Puffin's pins, Bug will come sit on me and scooch closer and closer til they're inches apart and sometimes tries to preen Puffin while she's looking away. When Puffin realizes it's not me, she tries to bite Bug & I always keep my hands between them knowing I'll take the bite. They have managed to preen one another on me for up to a minute at a time :loveshower: but those sessions are months apart. I keep letting them be close in the hopes that one day Puffin won't be afraid to be preened by another bird. :fingerscrossed: (That M2 she was housed with plucked her pretty badly & even roughed her up a few times) but now Bug has begun trying to sneak-preen and starts pulling away before she gets caught but ends up almost pulling on Puff's feathers instead though I'm certain that's not her goal. :facepalm: I think if she could learn to take it slowly they'd make more progress.
20181023_143232.jpg

September will be 2 years since Puffin came to live with us & I wanted to go back and read how far she's come. Luv Bug is a bit of a devil to me (she's sugar-coated vinegar I tell you!) but Puffin has become my special dear, :swoon: never mind that hubby is her special dear. She's come to like me almost* as much as him & will even come back to me from him for love and scritches. :cheer:

*by "almost" I mean that if hubby is 1st place, I'm 3rd. No second place, but I'll take what I can get. :D

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is a beautiful story. Thank you for updating. Since I joined Jan 2019 I didn't even know this thread existed.

It is so nice to see them together and finding some common ground and a developing flock bond.

Cheers to many more years!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It’s hard to believe it’s almost been two years! What a great update, and I love the photo of you with them! :heart:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wow, Wednesday was the 16th; officially 2 years since Puffin joined the family! :fairy2:

Despite another start up in tail pulling (3 times in the past two weeks) and some very low-speed "chases" (I'm taking about you, Puffin:naughty: ), the goffins girls have made some more progress since the last update -even hubby has noticed! :yes4: The girls have been sitting closer together more frequently and for longer periods. The other day Hubby said they sat on him with their heads touching for about 4 minutes! :jawdrop: He didn't get a picture because he didn't want to ruin the moment, but here's one of them sharing a knee while I take break from housework. Until now, they had to be on separate knees or they would try for one another's feathers or chase each other off.
20200918_143157.jpg
They stayed like this til my leg started to fall asleep!:swoon: Luv Bug was dozing until I turned on my camera. I didn't know the flash was set to ON so I'm getting the "horns of disapproval". :laugh:

Last edited:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Happy second gotcha day Puffin!

You're beautiful!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They look so healthy! Well done!

I am glad they are slowly developing a trusting relationship. :cloud9:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow 2 years already? Such great news that they are a little more tolerant of each other, they really are so sweet to look at :heart:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Puffin has been "helping" me around the house a lot lately. This week I was putting away some tupperware lids and she climbed up to my wrist to investigate. So I flattened my hand on the shelf and she climbed on up! :laugh: She's not normally so bold or brave so I had to let her check it out, but I had to scoop her up when she started nibbling on the containers. :bignono:

Resized_20210215_143201.jpg

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks like she didn't know what shelf she wanted?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Puffin has been "helping" me around the house a lot lately. This week I was putting away some tupperware lids and she climbed up to my wrist to investigate. So I flattened my hand on the shelf and she climbed on up! :laugh: She's not normally so bold or brave so I had to let her check it out, but I had to scoop her up when she started nibbling on the containers. :bignono:

View attachment 374088
Have you been letting her read about Elvis? Because that's what Elvis does. LOL. She's a cutie. We need to see more of her. :)