• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Puffin's progress

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
So it's been 2 weeks since we met Puffin and brought her home. I figured I should start another thread so I can post updates about her since it's already official -we are crazy- and the original thread is long enough. ;)

We've had a few tiny baby steps since our last update, but they feel huge to us. :) Last week hubby stopped in Puffin's room to say goodbye to her on his way to work. He gave her the usual scritches but this time she ducked down playfully and moved her body side-to-side quickly like Luv Bug does when she's being sassy.

Here's a pic of Luv Bug's sassy dance for reference:
Resized_20180930_174216(1).jpeg
He went back to her and she stretched up as high as she could and gave him a kiss! :swoon: I didn't know she even gave kisses!

Puffin has been allowing both of us to give her scritches (I have to ask first, hubby gets full privileges) but in the past few days, I've noticed that she is becoming more relaxed with me and has stopped giving me warning bites. :dance5: Maybe it's because I sit with her in the evenings while she's settling down and I sing to her as I'm covering her cage after she goes up to her sleep perch?
20180930_151229.jpg

We did make the decision to wheel her cage into the hallway so she can see us during the day while we're home and that has helped her relax immensely. I figure her room has the same airflow as the rest of our apartment, and she's at the farthest point from any of the birds so there's not such a big difference from her room. We still change her food, water & cage separately after everyone else's is done and wash up after we interact with her the same as we did before.

I think being able to see us has helped with her screaming, partly because she doesn't like to be left alone and also now she can see that when she screams we don't react. Before I think she screamed so long in the hopes that we might be coming, but now when she can see that she isn't getting a reaction she stops after only a few quick tries. :)

Puffin can't see the green cheeks from the hallway, but she can see Buzzard and she looks at him a lot. I can't tell if she is trying to figure out what to make of him or if he makes her miss her big M2 buddy. I know Buzz has seen her when we have her cage there, but he doesn't seem to care and just does his own thing. He just gets excited when we move her cage because her bell rings. :rolleyes: An added benefit to Puffin being where she can see into the living room is that Luv Bug can also see Puffin. And Luv Bug is quite curious; at first she just watched Puffin as Puffin was taking everything in. And the next couple of days they mirrored each other -one dances, the other dances; one crest goes up or down, the other follows. Their mirroring has already subsided, but we're taking this as a good sign that they're getting used to seeing one another and hope this might help when it comes time for them to actually meet. :fingerscrossed:

I think I've mentioned that while she stepped up readily in her old home she hasn't wanted to step up at all since she has been here and even threatened to bite at first. This morning when I went in her room to uncover her she climbed out of her cage and came across the top and lifted her foot towards me. :shocked2: I offered her my finger and she stepped right up! :loveshower: I didn't move my hand, but just praised her and did head bobs with her. I can't wait til she does it again because it was such an awesome feeling! :heart:

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update! ♥
He went back to her and she stretched up as high as she could and gave him a kiss!
I love your hubby, and he was so worth that kiss. ♥
Maybe it's because I sit with her in the evenings while she's settling down and I sing to her as I'm covering her cage after she goes up to her sleep perch?
Yes I think it is. Sometimes just seeing and hearing each other is the best way to start a relationship.
I think being able to see us has helped with her screaming, partly because she doesn't like to be left alone and also now she can see that when she screams we don't react. Before I think she screamed so long in the hopes that we might be coming, but now when she can see that she isn't getting a reaction she stops after only a few quick tries. :)
Then I think she was flock calling to you and not just screaming for attention.
He just gets excited when we move her cage because her bell rings. :rolleyes:
Why am I thinking that she should have a necklace of bells when she have her first meeting with Buzz... :D
I offered her my finger and she stepped right up! :loveshower: I didn't move my hand, but just praised her and did head bobs with her. I can't wait til she does it again because it was such an awesome feeling! :heart:
So happy for you and I hope it happens soon again. ♥

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That kiss! How amazing!:cantwait: And that dance, love that!:cheer: The goffins I saw yesterday was doing that sideways dance, can’t Imagine how cute it must be to have them doing that for you:loveshower:
And the fact that Puffin and Bug mirrored Each other:wideyed: Great progress to me!:heart: She is doing so well, she truely sounds like a little princess:heart:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I was wondering how Puffin was coming along. Sounds like she's already making great strides towards bonding with you guys. And quickly too!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
She's really cute and I can't believe she gives kisses! And that little dance, really cute! :coffeescreen:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
2 weeks already?? gee that went fast! She is coming along nicely and it sounds like things are going great. So good to read this update on all your beautiful big birds :) I feel so happy for you with the steps she has made. Love the description of her and Luv Bug mirroring each other, i would love to see that it sounds so cute.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Hubby and I have been trying to help Puffin with her pins, but she is still too nervous and won't sit still for long. Tonight I was on my phone by her cage and she hopped down onto my shoulder and started playing with a Lego the way Luv Bug does. Out of habit I absentmindedly covered her entire head with my hand and started scritching with all of my fingers like I do with Bug for several moments before it dawned on me who I was accosting. :shocked2: This is not normally okay with Puffin but this time she wasn't afraid and stayed long enough for me to finish all of her head pins and sat on me for probably 20 minutes before she climbed back to her cage. :yahoo:

This evening she got really scared for some reason and wanted out of her cage. I asked her if she wanted to step up & she bit me pretty hard ...and then stepped up! Her step up bite is really firm but didn't break the skin. -Good to know! She climbed up to my shoulder, said her "hello" (her only word so far & sounds a bit like a hiccup :xflove:) and she has been sitting there relaxed for the past half hour. I know I need to put her back but I'm enjoying sitting with her way too much & was so excited I had to share. :swoon:

I'll put her back to bed in a few more minutes. I promise. :shy:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ahhh let her sit you big meanie! She can stay as long as she likes.....even well past bedtime!!!

So happy to hear she let you mistake her head for Bugs....hehehe, bet you skipped a heart beat for a second when you first realized it was the wrong bird you were roughing up:lol:

She sounds like such a little princess, glad you are making steps forwards with her :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Puffin sounds like she's fitting in very well. :hug8: That's so good to hear!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:heart::heart::heart:
Great update!!
Out of habit I absentmindedly covered her entire head with my hand and started scritching with all of my fingers like I do with Bug for several moments before it dawned on me who I was accosting. :shocked2: This is not normally okay with Puffin but this time she wasn't afraid and stayed long enough for me to finish all of her head pins and sat on me for probably 20 minutes before she climbed back to her cage. :yahoo:
I wonder if she let you preen her partly because you were acting very nonchalant about it and weren't nervous :chin:I really do believe birds pick up on our emotions. I know Echo certainly seems to. I definitely try mask my emotions and put a positive confident face forward when I'm nervous with him. But he still seems quite capable of reading my actual emotions. I'm pretty sure I'd make a terrible poker player
:pokerface::hehe:

Anyway its great things are moving in such a positive direction :heart::D

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Love love love the update! She is jumping along the lines of progress:p
And I agree, let her sit there as long as she likes:D I can assure if and when Xena decides to sit on me I Will make no attempt to remove her:p How long did end up snuggling with you?:heart:
I too had to think about what @Sarahmoluccan said, I noticed that too! Perhaps from now on she actually knows what you are going to do and that she Will love it:xflove:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I wonder if she let you preen her partly because you were acting very nonchalant about it and weren't nervous :chin:
That's a very good point. Our positive interaction has certainly given me more confidence! :)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Hubby and I have been trying to help Puffin with her pins, but she is still too nervous and won't sit still for long. Tonight I was on my phone by her cage and she hopped down onto my shoulder and started playing with a Lego the way Luv Bug does. Out of habit I absentmindedly covered her entire head with my hand and started scritching with all of my fingers like I do with Bug for several moments before it dawned on me who I was accosting. :shocked2: This is not normally okay with Puffin but this time she wasn't afraid and stayed long enough for me to finish all of her head pins and sat on me for probably 20 minutes before she climbed back to her cage. :yahoo:

This evening she got really scared for some reason and wanted out of her cage. I asked her if she wanted to step up & she bit me pretty hard ...and then stepped up! Her step up bite is really firm but didn't break the skin. -Good to know! She climbed up to my shoulder, said her "hello" (her only word so far & sounds a bit like a hiccup :xflove:) and she has been sitting there relaxed for the past half hour. I know I need to put her back but I'm enjoying sitting with her way too much & was so excited I had to share. :swoon:

I'll put her back to bed in a few more minutes. I promise. :shy:
Freddy has been giving Joe a good firm bite every time he handles Fred since our vacation in August. Just like you describe, a pinch that doesn't break the skin. I don't know what that means, do you? Sometimes it happens just the way you describe, a good bite, then step up, or step up, a good bite, then he's all set. Last night I had set Fred down on his chair in the bird room while we watched tv. (He was getting too rambunctious) He climbed down and came back over and I tried to get him to chase me. He didn't feel like it, and went to Joe lol. Joe said WHY IS HE COMING TO ME, HE MUST WANT SOMETHING TO BITE LOL. Fred bobbed his head! Lol Joe picked him up and no bite! He gave him some treats and he was good! I have been developing a cold & sore throat so I don't want to handle Fred too much, that's very hard! I make sure to wash my hands before picking him up!