• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Puffed up and shivering cockatiel

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
Hello my little Oli has been doing something i wanted to see if it were normal or not. I keep my room at 73 degrees 22 celsius. Sometimes he puffs up and starts shivering. He shows no other signs of being sick so im just thinking it's nothing to worry about but i wanted to make sure. Is this normal for cockatiels?

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
Is there a cover on his cage? He might be sick. You may want to make sure and take him to the vet.

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
Yea i can post a picture. He stopped doing it but i'll take one if he does it again.

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
Yes he does have a cover on his cage. I just don't keep him fully covered all day. He spends a few hours out of his cage on his perch.

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
I turned on the AC a few mins ago. Just for extra info he isn't in the way of any drafts from the AC. He is also 4 months old. I've only had him for about a month now. I think he used to spend his time outside when he was with his breeder. He may just be cold im thinking. Sometimes he sleeps during the day but im not sure if that is anything either. I have insomnia and i think he may not sleep when i turn out all the lights and im still awake. If he ends up looking bad i will take him to the vet and get him a check up. I don't hvae a job right now but i plan to get one buy the end of july. (Though if he really needs it i will get the money from my parents)

Attachments

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He should be fine at 73, and it's good that he has no cold air from the AC blowing on him. Taking a nap in the day is also fine, but if he is not playing or eating there would be cause for concern. I also don't know why he would be shaking/shivering. Since he is a new bird, he should have a check up anyway. I would try to get him there sooner rather than later if you can. He might be fine, but if he does start to show signs of illness that would mean he is very sick. Better to see a vet before that stage. Posting a video would be helpful. Congrats on your new bird, he's a cutie!

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Is he actually shivering or is it more of a puffing up feathers and then doing a full-body shake? The puff-shake thing is a way of relieving stress or nervous energy, and is pretty normal. Buddy does it before she settles in to relax.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I would say to get him into vet, if nothing else then for wellness exam.

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
Is he actually shivering or is it more of a puffing up feathers and then doing a full-body shake? The puff-shake thing is a way of relieving stress or nervous energy, and is pretty normal. Buddy does it before she settles in to relax.
His lower chest puffs up and i can see his feathers moving.

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
Also how much do you think it would cost to get him a check up?

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
He should be fine at 73, and it's good that he has no cold air from the AC blowing on him. Taking a nap in the day is also fine, but if he is not playing or eating there would be cause for concern. I also don't know why he would be shaking/shivering. Since he is a new bird, he should have a check up anyway. I would try to get him there sooner rather than later if you can. He might be fine, but if he does start to show signs of illness that would mean he is very sick. Better to see a vet before that stage. Posting a video would be helpful. Congrats on your new bird, he's a cutie!
I'll post a video tomorrow. Or tonight if i can.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's not "shivering". The puffing and vibrating is just a way of relaxing and regulating heat. Both up and down. A normal thing for many birds to do. (He also doesn't have "any" other symptoms of any kind. Confirmation to me)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you so i have nothing to worry about! :)

If you knew your bird (which will come with time) then you'd know if this was out of the ordinary. All we have is a description of the behaviour without seeing it over a period of time in context to everything else in the birds life.

It can be a sign of illness if a bird does it all the time. Especially if there are other symptoms.

Since you don't know (yet) it's best to consult your vet. If he does it at the vets under that stress then your bird is sick and you'll be glad you went and caught it.

I'll bet he acts just fine at the vet. In that case he's fine. And you spent a little money to be safe.

So now your left with a description again and your vet staring at a bird with no symptoms. His advice is not free. But parrots aren't free.

A video is worth a 1000 pictures.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is your 'tiel doing? Hope he is OK. If your gut says something is wrong then best to take him to the vet and have him checked out.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I second the idea of visiting the vet. It's important to develop a relationship with an avian vet now, even if your 'fid is healthy. You don't want to have to try to find a good vet in an emergency. Believe me, we've all been there.

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
Alright i will try and do it when i can. He is doing fine though i went to the store today and bought him new toys. He seems to be fine when i turn the AC off. The AC in the rest of the house is broken and its been 100 degrees outside. I'll just turn it on and then turn it off once it cools down a bit so its not constantly cold. I will send a video.