• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PTFE Free Kitchen? Help!

GeezLouise

Meeting neighbors
I'm moving soon and need to purchase all new kitchen appliances! Pots, pans, utensils and all. I've inquired about ceramic pans on here before, and have been searching Amazon and some kitchen stores, but I am so incredibly anxious (and picky :shy:) about what to buy.
It would be beyond helpful for fellow bird owners to help me find exactly what you use for cooking that has never posed a threat to your birds. For whatever reason, I just can't trust what I find online. I hope someone out there understands!
I'm also searching for an air fryer that is completely PTFE free. Anyone...? :p Thank you :buzzbee:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Instant Pot pressure cookers are safe (but not their air fryers)

Ninja Air Fryers and indoor grills are safe

I use T-fal stainless steel pots and pans, no nonstick coating. I've tried many ceramic coatings over the years and have never had any last longer than 2 years. I'm eyeballing a set of Ninja NeverStick though!

As long as it says PTFE and PFOA free it should be fine :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My kids bought me stainless steel pans and I think they may be Tfal.

I go through skillets....I just make sure they say no PTFE and no PFOA.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Cast iron pans are my non-stick pans! I've actually never owned any non-stick pans. I also have cast iron baking pans.

Cast iron does involve a learning curve if you're not familiar with using and caring for them. But once you've got it, they're super easy to use, and completely bird safe.

ETA Cast iron pans also last indefinitely - no need to replace as the "coating" is simply polymerized cooking oil/fat. If it wears off, you can easily "reapply" it again by seasoning the pan.

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cast iron pans are my non-stick pans! I've actually never owned any non-stick pans. I also have cast iron baking pans.

Cast iron does involve a learning curve if you're not familiar with using and caring for them. But once you've got it, they're super easy to use, and completely bird safe.

ETA Cast iron pans also last indefinitely - no need to replace as the "coating" is simply polymerized cooking oil/fat. If it wears off, you can easily "reapply" it again by seasoning the pan.
And I've deep cleaned mine in hot coals before! Of course, it was my mom's skillet so who knows how old it is.

Mine still has the ring on the bottom (and I believe I read that was used to fit into the wood burning stove in the kitchen). We had a wood burning kitchen stove so......

bonjourtok

Meeting neighbors
I like my cuisinart stainless steel set of pots and pans!

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
And I've deep cleaned mine in hot coals before! Of course, it was my mom's skillet so who knows how old it is.

Mine still has the ring on the bottom (and I believe I read that was used to fit into the wood burning stove in the kitchen). We had a wood burning kitchen stove so......
Don’t ever let that piece go! Vintage cast iron pieces are apparently superior to modern ones.

sageparrot

Moving in
Real Name
Elyse
I know you said you cant trust whats online but Greenlife cookware is really great! It is ceramic and all toxic free! They currently have a sale for 40% off with the code "FLAG40" for memorial day. I'll post the link to their site below! Also they have adorable colors that can match any bird lol! :)

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I know you said you cant trust whats online but Greenlife cookware is really great! It is ceramic and all toxic free! They currently have a sale for 40% off with the code "FLAG40" for memorial day. I'll post the link to their site below! Also they have adorable colors that can match any bird lol! :)

Chicken fryers! There's a 5 quart saute pan with a lid on that sale! I haven't had a chicken fryer in years!!! Thank you!

Now I have to decide what color.....

Altho...... there's also a 50% off of something......hmmmm

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I got all my baking stuff- sheet pans, muffin tins, loaf pans, etc- at a restaurant supply store! Super affordable and all uncoated steel or aluminum.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I use stainless steel, cast iron or enamel coated cast iron. I have not used any non stick for years. I use aluminum or ceramic for baking or glass.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan

I’m all about cast iron too. I also have some stoneware that I like.