• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

psittacus pellets - thoughts?

birdbeaks

Moving in
Real Name
harvey
hi all! my new baby green cheek will be here in about a week or so. YAY! I'll be sure to post some pics :loveshower:

my breeder is currently using psittacus pellets. she strongly recommends it and uses it for all her birds. I don't have much knowledge of this pellet brand and I haven't heard much about it from other bird owners! do any of you have any experience with this pellet? is it good?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Congratulations!l on your new addition! That's very exciting for you!

I cannot speak for that particular brand, but it's best to pick some up regardless if you're going to keep your bird on it or not. Since its currently eating that, you'll want to maintain and if you decide to switch, you'll slowly transition from their current diet to the new.

Look at the label, read the ingredients. I personally would not want to feed any of my pets food that lists corn as the first ingredient. (Ingredients are listed in order from most to least as a percentage of the product.)

My birds came to me on a cheap, colored pellet from All Things Living, which I believe is PetSmart in house brand. It has taken a few weeks, but they are 100% transitioned to a chop and pellet (Harrison's High Potency). I looked at several brands and settled on Harrison's pellets.

I'm sure your bird will do fine on whatever QUALITY pellet you decide, and there are several to choose from. They will all meet your birds requirements, it may just come down to the birds preference.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The absolute best pellet on the market is:

The one your parrot will eat, does well on, and fits your budget.

I prefer no added sugars and no dyes but these are not deal breakers for me.

MOST parrot pellets contain corn. It does not bother me in the slightest. Why?

It makes a good carbohydrate base that is naturally yummy.

It makes pellets more affordable for the average owner.

It has been used in pellets that have been used in feeding trials for 30+ years.

Psittacus pellets are made in Spain if I recall correctly and have just been making their way into the US market so that is why most people here don't know about it yet. It's a solid looking pellet and I've had some success feeding one of their foods to my ultra picky Jardine's.

If it were me, absolutely keep your bird on it until there are settled, and then if for some reason you don't care for it, you can look to changing it. But I wouldn't personally feel the need unless it's an issue of obtaining it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My lovebirds usually eat Hagen Tropican, however they will eat the psittacus pellets with no problems. Given the rise in costs of the Tropican, I might switch over to psittacus for the foreseeable future after this bag is used up.
As for the nutrition aspect, I have no idea.

Kadgary

Strolling the yard
My bird is doing fabulously on psittacus pellets!!