• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Pseudomonas

SD1030

Strolling the yard
My 8 year old cockatiel tested positive for Pseudomonas. The avian vet prescribed Cipro for 2 weeks, and then told me stop the medication for 1 week and then re-culture.

Is it common practice to stop the medication for 1 week prior to reculture?

Also, I was thinking of going an extra week for a total of 3 weeks, to make sure the bug is definitely killed. I worry they with only 2 weeks of treatment, and then stopping for 1 week after- that it could surface again.

My cockatiel is doing much better overall and his breathing episodes have stopped, except what’s weird is that he had one or two breakout episodes at the end of the 2 week treatment.

Im not sure what to do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
just finished a 2 week course. He showed improvement immediately, but on the last day of treatment, he started exhibiting breathing symptoms again
Have you informed the vet of the breathing problems? Have you voiced your concerns?