• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prudence says "How Undignified!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Haha! So....interestingly enough Penny can fly WAY better than Prudence has ever been able to and they supposedly have the same amount of wings clipped.
I had wanted Penny fairly flightless for the first little while, just like Pru in order to form a bond. Well the bond thing is not an issue! She is super pleasant as mentioned. Which is good, because she can fly as good as any unclipped bird, it seems.

So, Penny will fly from her cage to my shoulder, from her stand to the table, basically she finds me! LOL Well I have had both Pru and Penny out eating dinner at the same time, but many feet apart. In the first few days Penny only flew say two arm lenghts at a time......well last night she proved she can fly much farther!

I had Prudence eating dinner on what we call isolation island. Its a triangular stub wall that seperates my dining room from the entry way..(I will try to get a pic for you sometime). We put her there when I want her to eat with us, but dont want her eating off our plates.

Penny, was in the formal living room on her playtop eating. Id say these two locations are slightly kitty cornered to eachother, but about 15 feet apart.

All of a sudden, half way through the meal, Penny excitedly flys directly over to Prudence, and even lands gracefully beside Prudence on the edge of her ceramic food dish! HAHAHA
Not only was Prudence not pleased, she was APPAULED! The expression on her pretty little face was one of "How Undignified, FLYING! Near ME!" Hahaha

Now I suppose it could have gone bad, Pru or Penny could have been injured in a fight. But luckily Pru's disgust at Penny's manners was enough to make her hop off the bowl with a squak and come running to the edge of isolation island, asking to be picked up! LOL
Penny was clueless, sure she had just made her best friend! LOL

So adorable these too! I hope they can be friends. Once more since then Penny flew across the table to perch on Prudences chair rail....Pru just crab legged it off the perch, unsure why Penny flaps her wings so much!! LOL

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw I hope they continue to get along :)

Rebecca in Israel

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rebecca
That is so good to read that they are getting along nicely together. You are lucky it is just a squak that seperates them, wait for the real action to begin, beak fights, pulling on one anothers tail, wing etc. These are very jealous and territorial birds.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Oh gosh I hope it never gets to that!
As you can see in my siggy Penny has already had a battle, and lost! Her beak was shredded by a 13 weeks old when she was 9 weeks old. Its healing now, but Im sure it wouldnt handle another!

So if they are notoriously territorial, should I have a playstand made that will always be for the two of them to play on and leave everything else for one or the other?
Or is it an issue either way?

Rebecca in Israel

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rebecca
You can probably have a playstand for both of them together, playing together is fine with them, it is the grabbing food first and holding onto it long enough to eat it is where I find the rivalry is. At times even 6 or 7 of the birds are all playing together with stuff I have hanging in the lower section of the tree stump.
:)

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Im hoping they will become friends also! Later in the day I had them both wandering around on the kithcen table with some toys. Penny played super nice. Prudence kept slowly walking toward Penny with her beak open....no pinning but I was so worried she was gonna chomp her I kept putting my hand infront of her face and moving her away! LOL I wish I could read birds as well as I can dogs......they both seem curious, but I cant tell if either of them is considering hatred, LOL We will keep at it!
Prudence seems to flee immediatly whenever Penny initiates interaction, lets hope it stays that way! LOL

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I hope they will learn to become friends!!

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I have never seen my two Ringnecks actually bite each other. They go through a lot of motions that display what they're feeling...but never actually inflict any bites. I call it "Air fighting". They pin, they growl, they strike...but never make any contact. This is so different from my Lovebirds which do not hesitate to bite another Lovebird on the neck or leg and pull it off the perch.

I know you're being cautious and rightly so. But you may need to allow them to make contact while being ready to intervene. Even if they're going to be best buds they're going to have a pecking order which will require some displays of dominance.

My IRNs are best friends....but Orion often gets a good chase off by Napoleon. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.