• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prozyme Digestive Enzymes?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For those who use Prozyme Digestive Enzymes....can you tell me....how much do you use for a B&G Macaw, how often do you use it & what do you put it on for your bird? Can I add it at the same time, to the same food, I use her probiotic & DMG on? I usually mix the probiotic & the DMG in unsweetened applesauce, which she gets at night, but not every night. I usually give a heaping teaspoon & she licks the dish clean.

My B&G has kidney disease. She does good for awhile then back to throwing up. She's lost chest muscle since this all started about a year ago. Her keel bone is sharp. She goes from 990g to 1050g daily. Her diet is Zupreem Natural pellets, Roudybush renal pellets (ground & used in bird muffins, only way she'll eat the Roudybush) some seed mix, Nutri-berries (for the flax, as the liquid kind makes her vomit more), some fresh veggies (she's picky & won't eat any greens), some fruit & a couple in-shell nuts daily. Vet wanted her on a very low to no protein diet, but she lost weight, so her vet is allowing her some protein. I'm thinking the Prozyme may help her hold her weight or maybe gain some of it back. On the upside her poops are looking a lot better since this all started.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know for sure in your bird's case, but Prozyme has kept Jasper from starving to death. Prozyme pre-digests protein, the building block of muscles. I'm pretty sure you need to stay completely away from animal protein - the animal protein molecules are much larger and more complex than vegetable protein.

I buy it in the powder form and sprinkle a "large pinch" over her food for every meal. Large pinch is a highly scientific and accurate measurement given to me by my vet. LOL

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I use " a fork tine" full. That's my highly scientific method. When I'm using it on low weight birds I put it on the highest protein item they are eating that day. My BG gets it on his veggie's as he is often seeming to be low in vitamin A. Eats a ton but doesn't seem to absorb it well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Toy I think that DMG needs to be given daily twice a day in order to be effective. Giving it every other day wont keep the blood level up. For a macaw the recommended dosage is 1/2 twice a day for two weeks then continue forever with .25ml twice a day forever. Are you using Vetriscience Vetri DMG?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Hankmacaw is DMG something I should also be considering for Burt? I’m not even really sure what it is and I probably should have looked more into what it actually is after seeing that a lot of our members use it. I have never come across it on any of the sites I get bird stuff from here but that is the same with RPO, I had to get that from the US because I couldn’t find it here.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Hankmacaw is DMG something I should also be considering for Burt? I’m not even really sure what it is and I probably should have looked more into what it actually is after seeing that a lot of our members use it. I have never come across it on any of the sites I get bird stuff from here but that is the same with RPO, I had to get that from the US because I couldn’t find it here.
Burt doesn't need it. When he is older and has ailments that it could benefit then yes. :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know for sure in your bird's case, but Prozyme has kept Jasper from starving to death. Prozyme pre-digests protein, the building block of muscles. I'm pretty sure you need to stay completely away from animal protein - the animal protein molecules are much larger and more complex than vegetable protein.

I buy it in the powder form and sprinkle a "large pinch" over her food for every meal. Large pinch is a highly scientific and accurate measurement given to me by my vet. LOL
OK I get the pinch. They actually make measuring spoons that have pinch, dash, smidgen, etc.

She's not a huge eater & since getting kidney disease she eats less, but more often. She eats a few pellets, a little seed mix, 3 nutriberries & 3 or 4 nuts in the late afternoon. Early evening I give her a heaping teaspoon of applesauce or mashed sweet potatoe with the milk thistle/dandelion, probiotic & DMG in. She'll nibble on pellets & seed mix later in the evening. In the morning she may eat a few pellets, a little piece of scrambled egg or a mini bird muffin (has mixed veggies in) & a little seed mix. I also give her a piece of banana, apple or melon during the day, but not every day. She won't touch most veggies, refuses to eat chop, etc. So you're saying I can add the Prozyme to any of these foods (wet or dry), except the in shell nuts of course?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Toy I think that DMG needs to be given daily twice a day in order to be effective. Giving it every other day wont keep the blood level up. For a macaw the recommended dosage is 1/2 twice a day for two weeks then continue forever with .25ml twice a day forever. Are you using Vetriscience Vetri DMG?
Yes using the Vetriscience brand. I did the 2 week thing, but as i said she's a picky eater. I'll try to get her to take it every day.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
With poppers I mixed a 1/4 teaspoon in with the emeraid from vets. Made the mixture wet and a little watery, and syringe fed her to make sure she adequate amount for day.
Her weight fluctuated quite a bit from her infection. Kept her from starving. And assured her food was getting digested. I didn't have to towel her as she was good at taking syringe food.