• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Protecting bird from reptile lamp

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Hey everyone,

I’m looking for some ideas on how I can prevent my bird from landing on or near a heat lamp I use for my bearded dragon. The bird is in the same room. I’m trying to figure out some kind of protective guarding I can put around it.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Could you put a bucket over the lamp?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you have a picture of your bearded dragon setup available? That could help with brainstorming ideas.

If you have wood-working skills, building a custom "light box" over the lizard enclosure to enclose the cords and lights would be ideal. But I realize that kind of craft project is beyond the scope of many people's skill set.

Whatever you end up doing, be sure to avoid direct contact with the heat lamp or using any materials that could catch fire or melt due to prolonged exposure to high heat.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Do you have a picture of your bearded dragon setup available? That could help with brainstorming ideas.

If you have wood-working skills, building a custom "light box" over the lizard enclosure to enclose the cords and lights would be ideal. But I realize that kind of craft project is beyond the scope of many people's skill set.

Whatever you end up doing, be sure to avoid direct contact with the heat lamp or using any materials that could catch fire or melt due to prolonged exposure to high heat.
Yeah, I would say that is outside of my skill set. Below is a picture of the setup. I am kind of thinking of maybe using a wire cloche? Like the ones in this link: Wire Cloche by Colonial Tin Works | Gardener's Supply

You think that might work?

The setup:
2475587B-5317-47E9-B1F9-04AC78EE22D1.jpeg

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
What size is your bird? Lovebird?

Be careful with metal products. If the bird decides to land and chew on the cloche, there could be a risk of heavy metal poisoning from the galvanized coating. I would consider the electrical cords as a potential chew risk also.

What are the dimensions of the cage? I'm trying to think of something big enough to cover the whole top with enough space for the lights to get good ventilation, like an aquarium hood.

Actually, perhaps exactly like that, if you could find one that fits the top of the cage. Hmmm.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
The other thought I had was buying a cheap rabbit cage, like this one:

And using just the top half as a giant "light cage". Just be sure to pick a cage with small enough bar spacing to keep the bird out and the proper dimensions to fit on top of the lizard enclosure without any gaps.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
I found a product similar to the garden cloche, but it has a black coating on the metal and it is intended for use with heat lamps. About the same price. I think it would be a safe choice. Just be sure to double check the dimensions of your lights.

I have been looking at those! The only reason I did not go with them what I could not wrap my brain around how the enclosure would not get hot it‘s self. It looks like these go around the bulb. I like your next idea of using the top of a small animal cage to go over the top of the entire set up. I feel like that would work for sure!

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
What size is your bird? Lovebird?

Be careful with metal products. If the bird decides to land and chew on the cloche, there could be a risk of heavy metal poisoning from the galvanized coating. I would consider the electrical cords as a potential chew risk also.

What are the dimensions of the cage? I'm trying to think of something big enough to cover the whole top with enough space for the lights to get good ventilation, like an aquarium hood.

Actually, perhaps exactly like that, if you could find one that fits the top of the cage. Hmmm.
Yep, its a love bird! For the cords I was thinking maybe some cord covers.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If you do end up using a rabbit cage, the plastic bottom of the cage could potentially get repurposed into a play area for the bird and put on top, so the lovebird could have a safe spot to land and play in that corner (without pooping on the lights ;-)

Of course, it might make getting in to feed the bearded dragon more difficult if too many things are on top of the cage. Just a random bird thought.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Dont have the birds in the same room as your other lets.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
If you do end up using a rabbit cage, the plastic bottom of the cage could potentially get repurposed into a play area for the bird and put on top, so the lovebird could have a safe spot to land and play in that corner (without pooping on the lights ;-)

Of course, it might make getting in to feed the bearded dragon more difficult if too many things are on top of the cage. Just a random bird thought.
So I have an idea, I have the below small animal play pen that I no longer use. I think I’m going to use the panels to make an enclosure to go around the dome lamp. Ill post pictures when I’m done if it does not look like a complete joke lol.

61A284D2-7C36-4421-AEC8-8FD3AD449CB6.jpeg

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
You've had some good suggestions.

I would like to add that you can get wooden vivariums which the heat and UVB bulbs actually go inside the enclosure. They also hold heat a little better than the glass exo terra ones, such as the one you own. You bearded dragon looks massive! Wouldn't he benefit from an upgrade anyway?

This is the sort of setup I mean...
Screenshot_2020-10-27-12-32-49.png
As you can see, the lights are inside, so pose no threat to your bird.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good luck!