• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prospective First Time Bird Owner

Carina.317

Sitting on the front steps
Hello! My name is Carina and I’m 22 years old. I just graduated from university and I’m looking to one day own a cat and then a blue and gold macaw. I know it’s important to do my research so I joined to learn more about my future pet! I want to make sure I am as informed as possible before I make the lifelong (well, my life at least) commitment.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome. I'm glad you are researching. I've owned macaws, Greenwings, for 25 years. They can be a lot of work, but what worthwhile isn't. I would caution you about having other pets that are predators due to that combination o f predator and prey together causing additional issues and can even mean harm or death to your bird.

We have a thread on this forum called "The good , bad and ugly about macaws that will give you mass amounts of information about macaws from real owners.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Welcome! Just a warning: owning a cat and a bird is super stressful. They pretty much have to have separate rooms, and the fear of a simple accident is something that is hard to handle.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Carina.317

Sitting on the front steps
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I didn’t consider the conflict between a cat and a bird … since I have neither I’ll most likely forgo the cat and just stick with the bird since that’s my #1 dream pet!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: