• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pros and cons of black-capped conures?

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
I'm exploring adopting a rescue pair, but have no conure experience. Any personal experience to share?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Ahhh i hope you do!
Pretty much everything is the same as green cheeks. Less nipping tho I think.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
My Ta-dah 20221029_182821.jpg love to chew yucca chips!!! Is incredible sweet and cuddling, but can split second decide i have tried to kill her, dishonored her or insulted her and threatening to bite. I get zero bites , because I pay attention to her body language. Mostly just takes a few seconds of pause, talking and reassure. Then we go back to pets or tricks or hanging out .

She is very smart. Has learned to say several words and phrases

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
From what I’ve read and heard, they’re FULL of personality and are all around goofballs. They thrive on attention and interaction, and will do silly things specifically for attention. Which can also backfire because they’ll fall right into “any attention is good attention” if they don’t feel like they get enough.

Personally, I think they’re cute as all get out :heart: I say go for it.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Black caps are my fav conures, though I only know one. Try and see if you can listen to their voice online, they whistle instead of ‘scream’ like green cheeks. Blue the black capped conure learns incredibly quickly, large attitude, you treat him with respect and he takes no bulldookey. Not super playful but define toy plays and loves to destroy. He can be super cuddly. Have to watch making them too dependant on you, they often know exactly what to do to make you want to allow him to cuddle with you longer. I would take the pair!

Last edited by a moderator:

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
I do have a black capped conure :) he’s quite the character got lots of personality. Likes to be held likes to play with toys. Hes not afraid of much. He’s friendly towards all of us but likes me best lol!! He’s sweet and sassy not super loud but has his moments from time to time. He says his name and will play peek-a-boo. He likes to dance too! Loves his veggies and fruits eats his pellets too, after he plays with them in his water bowl of course! Enjoys bathing in his water bowl as well. He’s a lot of fun! If you can meet the birds and spend some time with them -I’d say start there see what you think! We love ours!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Congratulations!!! Can't wait for pics and stories

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have had my black cap “Bob” for sixteen years. He’s a great little guy, speaks a few words, semi-cuddly, no screaming but an excitable “squeee”or chirp sound… not offensive at all. Loves his bell toys. Since this is a pair they may not want much to do with you unless they have been handled by the current owner. I recommend black caps.

FancyFan

Moving in
Am hoping to acquire a male from a breeder in IL, waiting for reply back :) Been wanting to a get male first, before getting a female, so have time to train him beforehan.