• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pros and cons (mustache parrot)

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
I have my eyes on a mustache parrot
I dont know too much about mustache apart from they are somewhat like ringnecks
I always prefer male birds
But am open to listen whats better
Thanks in advance

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Awww I love these birds, they're so adorable!

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Awww I love these birds, they're so adorable!
I know I have thought long and hard and its going to be my Christmas present
Already written all the stuff I need etc me being parrot lover already most is already there just want to hear it all

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I honestly can not think of anyone here who has one. Maybe @Mizzely knows of someone?

Aves

Rollerblading along the road

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
I do on Instagram, does that count? Lol
Instagram birds TOTALLY count. That’s how I have 5,273 parrots and no poop.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ohhh I don’t think I have any of those to look at on Instagram.... they’re getting a new follower!!

And thankfully I checked before post- autocorrect is playing me good today! Lol that could have been terrible:D

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Haha too cute that only is cons I'm kind of wanting to hear all the goods and ugliness

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They will likely have similarities with your IRN. Asiatic species share a lot of the same body language and can co habitat well in large aviaries since they easily communicate.

There will be differences too of course. I personally don't have experience directly with mustached parrots. I do have a Plumhead, also an Asiatic, he is mostly sociable with everyone. He is also very active and requires lots of fly time. Also Asiatics don't require assistance with pins, so they aren't "cuddly". Body touch is very stimulating for them and not really appropriate in their culture unless you are a mate. It is romantic touch ;)

My advice here is mostly generalisation about all psittacula, as I dont have personal experience with mustached. I hope you find it informative :)

TropiKate

Meeting neighbors
I have a 9 month old Moustache Derbyan Hybrid so I'm not sure if this will be too much of help but this is my experience.

Pros: Such sweet birds! Seriously love hanging out with you and being with you. But they can also be very independent and appreciate their own time to play with their toys or do whatever they seem fit! So goofy, funny and playful. They are like little clowns and love goofing off and being silly! THE BEST at giving kisses. And they smell amazing :heart: Potential to talk. Mine talks, and his voice is the sweetest thing I've ever heard. They're overall pretty quiet when given lots of attention, but there are some exceptions! Perfect size for sitting on your shoulder a bunch and chilling out :)

Cons: Their call is pretty loud for a smaller bird! It can be ear piercing for sure. This may not be a con for some people but I thought I'd add it- they definitely aren't cuddly birds! Their feathers are different than conures and cockatoos and other birds that love being petted. (I'm sure they can tolerate petting or even learn to enjoy it with persistence and training) but I'd say for the most part they're not very hands on birds. They CHEW like crazy. They go through wooden toys so fast that they're like beavers lol. They can be extremely stubborn and they have very bossy personalities.

I see you've already gotten one and I'm so happy for you :) they're seriousy incredible and I'm sure you will enjoy every single second of him!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have always admired them.