• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Proposition 65?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
So I was looking at some Kitchenaid cookware that is Stainless Steel when I noticed this warning. This is the first time I am seeing this or maybe just never noticed it before? I'll be looking for this from now on. :eek:

Warnings:
proposition 65 reasons:titanium dioxide, other chemicals

WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.p65Warnings.ca.gov www.p65warnings.ca.gov

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
This is what I was able to find on titanium dioxide on the chemicalsafetyfacts website:

"The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified titanium dioxide as “possibly carcinogenic to humans,” based on studies that showed increased lung tumors in rats associated with titanium dioxide inhalation. However, extensive studies on titanium dioxide industry workers do not suggest an association between occupational exposure to titanium dioxide and an increased risk for cancer in humans."

If you want to get technical, here are some scientific papers that go into more detail: Resources Archive - TDMA

Keep in mind that titanium dioxide is an extremely common pigment, used in cosmetics and as a food colorant, and a common ingredient in sunscreen It has been tested extensively for safety in people.

Personally, I would not be concerned.

I think it is good that Proposition 65 encourages consumers to be more aware of the chemical present in everyday objects, but I also think it can lead to unnecessary anxiety. Be cautious, but also do your research. There are many benign substances that are "suspected" of harm based on weak evidence.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Prop 65 is way over done. Prop 65 is a California mandate and if they could have signs posted in your homes that state breathing regular air will cause cancer they would.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Thanks all!! Really good to know. I had never heard of it before! Glad to know it is a bit blown out of proportion! :thanks:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Prop 65 is way over done. Prop 65 is a California mandate and if they could have signs posted in your homes that state breathing regular air will cause cancer they would.
And don't even get me started on the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide. That stuff is potent enough to corrode metal and accidental inhalation is life-threatening for both people and birds. Vaporized dihydrogen monoxide can burn human skin on contact. In addition, it is a serious environmental risk - it is both a greenhouse gas and a major component of acid rain. Studies have shown a link between exposure to dihydrogen monoxide and increased cancer rates. The cancer-causing potential of the chemical itself is uncertain, but it is commonly adulterated with other potentially harmful substances, including known carcinogens, like polyfluoroalkyl substances, arsenic, and lead.

Dihydrogen monoxide is a silent killer. Odorless, tasteless, and ubiquitous. I am kind of surprised it hasn't been banned in California already.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
And don't even get me started on the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide. That stuff is potent enough to corrode metal and accidental inhalation is life-threatening for both people and birds. Vaporized dihydrogen monoxide can burn human skin on contact. In addition, it is a serious environmental risk - it is both a greenhouse gas and a major component of acid rain. Studies have shown a link between exposure to dihydrogen monoxide and increased cancer rates. The cancer-causing potential of the chemical itself is uncertain, but it is commonly adulterated with other potentially harmful substances, including known carcinogens, like polyfluoroalkyl substances, arsenic, and lead.

Dihydrogen monoxide is a silent killer. Odorless, tasteless, and ubiquitous. I am kind of surprised it hasn't been banned in California already.

Even more info on this killer:
;)

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
The body of evidence against DHMO is huge. Too bad it is everywhere. Good luck finding fruits and vegetables that have not been exposed.