• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cosmic

Checking out the neighborhood
What is the proper diet for a Green Cheek Conure? From my research, I have found that most people say that nutritional pellets are the way to go (Zupreem, Harrisons, etc.) due to supposedly having all of the vitamins, nutrients, minerals, etc. a bird needs. My grandmother has been raising and selling birds for years and says that seeds are the way to go and the pellets are more like treats than anything else. Who is correct and why? Any suggestions on brands, foods, etc?

Thanks in advance!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Pellets are the way to go. Generally, I go with 80% pellets, 20% treats (seeds, nuts, fruit and nutriberries) and as much veggies as she wants.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have replied to your other thread.

There are loads of lists online and in the forum of safe fresh foods. They would be worth a read and, if your bird doesn't already, to start trying her with them.:)

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Their diet should consist of high quality pellets and a variety of fruits and vegetables. An all seed diet isn't good for them because seeds are high in fat and lack important vitamins & minerals, thus causing malnutrition. Seeds should be a treat not a meal. However, sprouting seeds is nutritious; the process gets rid of the fat content.

Reactions: Ali