• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Proper Diet for Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca

I love AA and everyone on here is so helpful and knowledgeable I have to ask a diet question. :D As you may know I have a Kakariki, age unknown, a NanSun Conure, alittle over a year, and an African Grey, not sure if she is a CAG or a TAG, who is 2 1/2.:dance5:
Currently they eat a breeders mix of seed, fresh veggies, fruits, and ZuPreem Fruit Blend. :) I would say they each get less then an 1/8 cup of seed a day and possibly 1 Tbl of the Zupreem. The rest of their meals consist of the veggies and fruit, both fresh and dried. Occasionally they also get poached chicken. I also sprout beans that I bought online that has several different types of beans in it.
Next to my husband and I eating healthily I desperately want our fids to have the best diet possible. :dance4:
I have read alot of your posts about mash ~ but have never made any and my birds have never eaten pellets. Can you tell me if I am feeding them what they need or should I try making mash?:hug8:

Last edited:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
A good mash is made up mostly of fresh veggies chopped finely in a food processor. You can also add some Harrison's mash. As for pellets, I personally don't think they are 100% necessary as long as they are getting a lot of veggies. My guys eat about 75-80% veggies. Birds really don't need a whole lot of protein and are mainly vegetarian in the wild though they eat a few bugs. I would cut out the chicken personally.
Do you have a pic of the grey? I can tell you whether it's a CAG or TAG. :)

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
Thanks Allison, you can find pics of Flo under posts I have done of her as I only think there are 2.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I don't have any of the birds you have but I have a variety and they all get fed the same thing (thats one reason I won't own lories/or other "special need diet" type birds its just simpler on me *and my old brain* if all the birds can eat the same types of food)

but mine get fruit blend pellets - biggest part of their diet but not their entire diet

a good seed mix - breeders and ones soon to be breeding get it daily - every one else gets it occasionally (I can't stand a seed junkie that's the 1st thing i change when ever i get a new bird if its a seed junkie) and they only get 2 tablespoons PER bird so most of them only get 2 table spoons because there is only 2 birds per breeding cage .. when they start having babies they do get a little bit more but not a whole lot more

then veggies, fresh when available , Frozen (thawed because we eat them too lol i cook them in the microwave for a minute or 2)

Leafy greens - I try to change this at least every week to 2 weeks but it really depends on whats on sale but the favorites in my house is Chard, Mustard Greens, Collards, Spinach(this is fed sparingly and not very often) carrot tops (not sure if that's considered leafy greens though lol) dark green lettuce leaves ,

bird bread that we make our selfs and add veggies, cooked noodles (whole wheat multi colored spirals I can't remember the name of them) ,Cooked beans ( i use the Ham Bean type for Bean soup/Ham and bean soup - it has 15 different types of beans in the bag , boiled egg or 2 (depending on how many packs of corn bread mix i use because they call for eggs as well) but i use shell and all after they're done boiling i just toss them in my magic bullet and grind em all up we mix it all together in the corn bread mix and add some of their pellets and seeds and cooked brown and white rice then pour it in muffin pans and bake it

my fruit eaters (which is just the conures, Quakers and my IRN) get some sort of fruit daily, They love grapes, we buy both seedless and seeded , Watermelon chunks, banana those are their favorites

and occasionally I'll cook them up some noodles and boil a egg or two mash the egg and then mix it with the noodles

and the Quakers in the living room (*Billy and Gumby) usually get a small piece of what ever we are eating Other wise we don't get to eat LOL but we only give them the stuff that's good for them, if we're eating something that isn't good for them then we bring them a small piece of Whole wheat bread or something that is good for them

they too get cooked chicken (if i make BBQ chicken I dig a piece out of the center that has no sauce) and they love it, IF i'd allow them they'd also eat my steak, pork chops, and burgers too BUT I don't share those not very healthy for them!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The "proper" diet should be highest quality food stuffs you can provide your bird. And a variety.

My guys get atleast 50% fresh foods, which includes fresh veggies, fresh fruits and sprouts, along with veggie birdie bread, and healthy human foods

20-30% is pellets. Sometimes less. I only put just a small amount in their feed dishes daily. And they eat it all, or nibble on it and drop the rest.

20% seeds and nuts, dried fruits. This food they have to work for. Its in their foraging toys, or during training.

5-10% can be "other".

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
Thanks everyone ~ I am going to try making some mash as well as birdie bread. I do know they love it when I make an herb salad; they just do not like it when it has been frozen and thawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.